Author Options:

Exploding Glass Tears-- forgot the name, but it's called "(some Austrian city) tears." ? Answered

You get a super-strong tear-shaped glass object that's incredibly strong-- stood up to repeated hammer blows on the bulb end. But when the "tail" is snapped, it bursts into powder. There's a wikipedia entry, but I need the name to find it again. I'd like to try it, but I need better info to avoid long trial/error sessions with hot glass.


3 Replies

PrfesserBest Answer (author)2009-09-05

Prince Rupert's drops can be purchased from Fisher Scientific and others. I don't know the commercial method but I have made then by heating soft glass tubing with a propane torch and allowing the drops of molten glass to drip into a bucket of water. Most of the drops will crack; about one in ten or twenty will come out ok. Trial and error...mostly error. Eye protection, heavy gloves, etc. Prfesser

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

johnnywgk (author)2009-09-04

Just like to say WOW, i like that

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer