97Views10Replies

Author Options:

Half broken monitor Answered

I recently bought a 19 inch LCD monitor for 40 bucks (used). It works perfectly for about half an hour (i havn't timed it) and then the screen just goes blank. If i turn it off and then back on it works for a couple of seconds then it turns back off. If I let it be for a while (like an hour or just when I'm not using my computer) it works fine for another half hour. Is this an overheating problem or what is going on?

10 Replies

user
guyfrom7up (author)2008-08-07

if I use a fan where would I put it? Should I open it up? Maybe it's clogged up with dust?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
CameronSS (author)guyfrom7up2008-08-07

It could be clogged up with dust, but that seems unlikely. There's very little airflow through an LCD.

If it's overheating, it's probably the power supply board that's overheating (you know enough to figure out which one that is). Replacing the overheating component might do it, but not if it's SMD...you're liable to cook another component, you clumsy oaf. :-P If it's an IC or similar device that's overheating, you might be able to attach a small heatsink.

The "liquid air" cans, when inverted, spray a very cold liquid, which can be used to determine which component is overheating.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
tech-king (author)CameronSS2008-09-08

thats sounds like a bad idea. spraying freezing liquid on a hot component... thermal shock, shattering of silicone (glass) internal chips ........

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
CameronSS (author)tech-king2008-09-08

Standard procedure, actually. That's why you can buy cans of "Freeze Spray." However, more people have cans of liquid air than have cans of freeze spray.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
tech-king (author)CameronSS2008-09-09

wow. okay, my bad. i was thinking cpu chips, where spraying freezing fluid on a 60 degree chip can be bad

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)2008-08-07

i have determined that it has a malfunctioning inverter, when the light goes dark you can still see the image when shinning a light on it is there a quick fix for this?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)guyfrom7up2008-08-07

suggestions? Do you think if i were to open it up it'd be a simple loose connection? Should I go buy some ccfl and inverters? Any info would be helpful

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
CameronSS (author)guyfrom7up2008-09-08

If the CCFL is still good, then you probably only need to replace the inverter. However, you might as well get replacement lamps while you're at it. It doesn't cost much more, and it will last longer.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
NachoMahma (author)2008-08-07

. Sounds like an overheating problem. May be a component that has degraded and is more susceptible to heat. . If you are familiar with working around high voltage circuits, you may be able to pinpoint the problem component by using your finger as a heat sink. It may not be any warmer than the other components, but you may be able to soak up enough heat to get back in its' operating range. . Probably be a lot easier to just go buy another used monitor.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
whatsisface (author)2008-08-07

Sounds like overheating to me. Try using a fan with it as well.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer