Author Options:

How do I use this? Is it even a soldering iron? Answered

I know I'm a noob to this, but how do you use this thing? I need to solder two wires together because they come loose very easily. If I can't solder them, what else can I do to keep them firmly connected?



Best Answer 4 years ago

If the other hints about using the iron don't work, you should be able to twist the ends together, and lick in place with a spot of hot-glue.

Hot glue? Hot damn! That's a good idea! I mean that's something that sounds like it would actually work. I mean for those of us who own a working hot-glue gun, but not a working soldering iron, or soldering gun.

Thats what I was thinking, but it seems like soldering would work better if possible.

Bear in mind if the twist is poorly done or dirty it will HEAT UP and melt your glue and may be spark a fire !

dude wy don't you just use connector bars it's much more easer and safe

Don't you need a small narrow bladed screwdriver to use those bars ?


Yes I always prefer to use that

They work and can be cut to needed numbers.

And are revisable after error or design change.


4 years ago

You could use a small wire twisters available at the Shack, Hardware and electrical contractor stores

wire twist1.jpgSplicing with wire caps 3.JPG

Nice pictures. Those really capture the essence of what "wire twisters" are and how they are used. I have also heard them called "wire nuts". And once, when visiting a remote tribe of electricians, I heard them call them "Scotch locks". Although that last one might be a brand name that got genericized.

AS always, you are most correct. Wire nuts is the designation used by the multicultural tribes and I thought "Scotch locks" was an eastern tribe dialect. It appears our local Home Depot tribe uses a "Wing Nut" designation.

See my pic below.

Those other pictures are cropped from the web. And I try to use terms that may be more application descriptive to a non-tribal member when illustrating a concept and is word reasonable, as in this case. While a video to convey their use would have been unnecessary overkill.


Looks like a soldering iron heating element with a wood burning tool in it. Had a similar thing as my first soldering tool about almost half a century ago (with a real soldering tip, though). Yo can try to find a soldering tip for it. Open the screw and measure the diameter of the heating element. This kind of soldering tips are quite cheap. It's by far not as good as a regulated soldering station but okay for starting. The tip you have now is by far too big to be useful, even if you can get some solder to stick on it.

I have such an iron rated at 25 watts ( less then the 45 Watt ) and it works very well at soldering 20 mill pitch smd IC chips to copper smt pads using a lower temp tin lead and another metal in the mix.

That is a wood burning tip so my guess is it is a wood burner. It may not get hot enough to solder even if you change the tip to a soldering tip.

The handle says its a soldering iron. Thanks for telling me what kind of tip it is though. Would it be good to buy a cheap pencil soldering iron?

If it is a soldering iron then you just need the tips and that is a lot less than a Iron.

That depends on how often you use it. A cheap pencil soldering iron is great for occasional use, but if you are doing a lot of soldering, spending more will translate into a much more useful and versatile tool.

I think that iron might work as a soldering iron if you replaced the tip.

A few years ago I wrote an 'ible on the subject of making soldering iron tips, by starting with 6 AWG copper wire, and then grinding down this piece of copper, until it is the right size to fit in the soldering iron.


However, if you have some store nearby that sells soldering iron tips, or new (whole) soldering irons, then that might be easier.

Regarding the question of, "How to connect wires without soldering?", there are a couple of ways to do this, that I can think of right now.

First is "wire nuts".


These are the same connectors that electricians use for wiring for mains power, and they come in all different sizes, for different sized wires. This connector is essentially a little plastic, cone-shaped thing, with threads on the inside. The way it works is you twist the stripped ends of your wires together, then twist the wire nut on top of the bare wires. The threads bite into the copper and hold the connection together.

Second is those cylinder-shaped, crimp connectors.


Those have two sides, like a tiny section of pipe, open on both ends. The way those work is you stick one or more wires into one side. Then do the same with the other side. Then use a pair of pliers, or a special crimping tool, to crimp the connector closed.

Those cylinder-shaped, crimp connectors are sold in auto parts stores, or in the automotive section of the big-box warehouse stores. And I think that's because people who rewire stuff in their cars prefer that kind of connector for some reason.