Author Options:

How to undo fixings of a Nespresso machine? Answered

The nespresso machine I have has certain fixings that have a little round elevation with no visible attachments or indentations for an existing screw driver or screw bit. It is completely round, sticks out from its also round base and has no signs of how to unscrew it. I hace attached a few photos of the actual screw head as it appears in the machine.

5 Replies

Sweeeeet (author)2012-07-23

I know it's late, but note that you can use a BIC pencil (empty) and a lighter as 'special tool'

just have to burn a little the pencil enveloppe, press it firmly on a elliptical screw, let it cool and unscrew :o)
re-burn and press if the screw doesn't turn

A Krupps was repaired with this only tool (6 screws all down in a hole), usuable for the reassembly

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

VRiabov (author)2010-11-22

Just fixed my coffee maker using the tool provided by Chris from NJ.
You can check his blog with detailed instructions at http://chris-lott.org/blog/20100627_nespresso.html

Screws are NOT ROUND, they are ELLIPTICAL.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

orksecurity (author)2010-10-16

Agreeing with the others. It looks most like a press-fit to me, judging by the shadow line, but you could try using a cutting disk to make a slot in it and see if it unscrews -- at worst you then proceed to cut it off completely.

Some things aren't even intended to be _factory_ serviced.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

seandogue (author)2010-10-16

That looks like a press fit "nut" to me, basically a variant on the idea of a rivet. I doubt it has threads.

IMO, Best bet? cut it off with a dremel and replace with a screw and nut. You could try prying or twisting it off, but I suspect that will damage the device it's holding together.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

steveastrouk (author)2010-10-16

This might be a one-way screw, fastened with a very special driver which has three cylinders which will lock on the screw, one way, and drive it in. Removing it with fine nosed vice-grips may well be the only way out, or use a Dremel tool to cut a slot in it.

This is designed specifically to stop you getting in to fix it.

I hope you get in !

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer