Author Options:

I need help identifying a hall effect sensor Answered

I'm working with a brushless motor with a 3 hall effect sensor feedback ring and I messed up one of the sensors while removing some potting. I need a replacement. I've tried contacting the manufacture of the motor but they won't respond.

The sensor looks like a flattened version of a TO-92 with chamfered edges instead of a rounded face to indicate the front side and .1" lead spacing. The only markings are U18 020 (or possibly U1B). It looks like it might be from http://www.utc-ic.com/product/db/hall.php but the part numbers don't all match although the datasheet looks like it might match. http://www.scribd.com/doc/52101789/U18-Hall-Sensor-Fan

It doesn't seem like places like DigiKey or Mouser sells Unisonic parts so I may need an compatible alternative which would be fine If I can figure out the specs.

7 Replies

ubdussamad (author)2012-11-03

try this!
i don't know where it's available but i have an alternate option just take a heavy soldering iron at it's highest temp. and try to solder the broken pin its may work!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Josehf Murchison (author)2012-09-18

Try here
UTC Unisonic Technologies
the data sheet at the second link looks right.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

blinkyblinky (author)2012-05-19

Okay, this may or may not be what you are looking for. Similar shape, and same package but it is a bit different. Supposedly, it is manufactured by a company known as Melexis. I am no expert but it seems that this may lead you in the right direction...hope this helps.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

frollard (author)2012-03-25

I googled 'u18 hall effect sensor'
and got digikey suggesting 3-sip piles of components...

being the datasheet for the first result, which has the chamfered edges like the one pictured... I would guess its a good start.

1.86 each, minimum purchase 1, with 1500 in stock.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

AnotherBrian (author)frollard2012-03-28

I did search for that but I found that apparently there are linear and latch sensors, also with different sensitivities. I have never worked with these sensors before so I'm not sure how critical these properties would be when used with a brushless motor controller.

I did hook it up to 6v and slowly turned the motor with a volt meter on the output. It puts out between .3 and 15 mV and it sure looks like it has a latched output.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

verence (author)frollard2012-03-25

Ahh, the google-fu is strong in this one!

But, ...
even though I tend to agree and the device might work, it is probably not the one depicted by the OP:
On page 11, it says about the marking on the UA Package
A = Supplier emblem
N = Last three digits of device part number
(depicted is the Allegro-Logo-A above the N)

So the device number should end in 020 (according to the given photo) while the PDF is for devices A1324..25 and there is no Allegro-A.

So, AnotherBrian, if you can get no better advice and you can get hold of the Allegro part easily, just try it.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

frollard (author)verence2012-03-25

Indeed, I didn't DIG in the results, just found that indeed many exist and digikey carries all of them :D

Searching the parts deeper will definitely help

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer