Author Options:

Internet WIFI noob. Need some advice. Answered

Hello, all.

I have a coax (TV antenna) cable outside coming in the house and I'd like to connect a WIFI antenna ( either yagi, omni, cantenna) to it, instead of TV. I'd need an adapter (N to F?) for it. Now, once the antenna and cable are hooked up, what do I need to transmit the internet WIFI signal throughout the house? Modem, router, both,? I have a spare Linksys WRT54G router with Ethernet IN and OUT. IOW, what other gear would I need to have WIFI throughout the house? The WIFI would be used for laptops and desk comps.

Thank you

3 Replies

Deslivres (author)2011-10-29

Assuming you'd be able to hook up to a public WiFi hotspot (whether that'd be Starbucks, McD's etc.) you'll also have to consider the security of your own pool of computers so that they, in turn, can't be accessed from the outside WiFi network and of course, you'll want to encrypt your traffic - either through the use of https only services, or TOR (which you can find here). Good luck !

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

DustySeven7 (author)2011-10-08

Flash your router with DD-WRT. I believe the linksys uses a n connector for the antennas. With DD-WRT on the router you can have it act as a bridge/repeater. It will take in wifi signals and send it to your computer via wifi over the second antenna or over cat5.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

caitlinsdad (author)2011-08-31

1. Is there "free" wifi signals outside your house - like you live next to the Starbucks.

2. Do you have regular internet access in the house?

3. You need a router capable of acting as a wireless transmitter or access point. I think your old linksys is capable of wireless functions.

4. Get a wireless capable router, and make sure your devices (pc,smartphone, ipod/ipad, gaming consoles) are capable of wifi and get them configured to use your internet connection. You should not need an external antenna hookup to use wifi through the house.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer