1330Views24Replies

Author Options:

Is it possible to be shocked by a car battery? Answered

From what I've heard, one can't even feel the shock from a car battery. Is this true? Does anyone have an explanation on "Cranking Amps"? How thick should the cables be if I need run the current somewhere?

Discussions

0
user
carbon

11 years ago

Is there really no way to safely use house current for anything?

Self-answer: *sigh* No there isn't.

When I was a kid, my father and I constructed a hot dog cooker out of a butter dish, two 3-penny nails, and a microswitch. The switch was installed such that the HOT line of the 120 volts wasn't connected unless the cover was on the butter dish. The nails were bent up through the bottom of the dish so that a hot dog could be pierced between the nails. All the wiring was epoxied under the dish. Yes. It made exelent hot dogs, safely and was a fun project.

We had a commercial device that cooked three or four dogs on carbon electrodes when the cover was closed. You got hot dogs with black, carbon-stained ends, and charring from where it arced.

I'm assuming that it is legal, then? I kinda assumed that there would be laws to prevent certain people from electrocuting themselves... And thanks for all of the advice!

Apparently it may be in some countries (or even perhaps local jurisdictions). My area I'm allowed to plug in whatever I want as long as it does not interfere with other customer's service ;) Mains power just sounds fancy with its high voltage... which is why I think it sounds more dangerous :P

I've got a CCFL transformer from a scanner that can cut high gauge wire with the arc it makes :P It's running at 5000 volts and I consider it (and my usage) "safe" as it operates at very very low amperage ;) Voltage is cool -- current kills without failsafe protection ;)

So how do I go about finding the policy for my area? I can't even imagine what it would be under...

I can't think of anybody I know that would have experience with this, either.

I've been digging through this for about half an hour, but it's kind of hard to do a lookup this way.

One place to check is your local permit office... ask them about non permanent items ;)

Also check out municode they have MANY communities codes online, my community's website just links straight to municode for zoning and code info.

Yes. Under certain conditions you could get a shock from a car battery. Care should be taken when working with them... Cranking Amps is how many Amps a battery can supply continuously for 30 seconds. A card battery should have Cranking Amps that match the needs of the car's starter motor. The thickness of the cables/wires are dependant on the amount of current needed for the particular device being powered. Notice that the thick cables from a car battery go directly to the starter and ground.

Say if I was making a Carbon arc light? I'm thinking that I shouldn't use some 22 gauge :P

Arcs actually do use a bit of current, especially at low voltages. 22gauge, imo is a little small. I would go with at least 16guage, maybe even lower.

Depends what the core material is of course... at work we use Aluminium core wire that is rated MUCH hire than copper core... the techs reckon you could wire your house with 22 gauge

Aluminum core wiring was popularly used in the USA for a short time in the late 60's, early 70's until it was discovered that aluminum corroded too quickly and produced a very dangerous fire hazard. Most USA jurisdictions no longer permit it in new installations. It's very rare today to find a house that still has the old aluminum wiring. Note, that aluminum wiring should be perfectly safe if it was installed properly. The problem was that it is very unforgiving if installed improperly.

I'm told that most of the the connectors on switches, outlets and breakers weren't compatible with aluminum- different expansion rates- which led to loosening connections, and hence high resistance at those connections, which resulted in heat-> fire.

As with all electronics, motors, ect you name it. There is a so called "Starting amperage and voltage". This is because it takes more voltage/amperage to start it up then when it's running. A Furnace rated for say 250 volts to run, could take 2,000 volts for the split second that it takes to spin up. Just to add to what you said vagas.

actually, Cranking Amps should match the running current of the starting system since it has to maintain that current for at least 30 seconds.

Mmm, yea you most likely have more knowlege than me on the subject at hand.

CARBON Your avavtar is a UK, Police Box. Long before hand held radios foot patrol police had to report back to the Police Station once during the first half of their patrol and again during the second. The Police Box had a direct telephone line. Officers also used sit in the boxes writing up reports and having a smoke. Smoking in public was not allowed. On a cold night the police box was also a bit warmer than outside. During the Second World War, officers were posted to a box to keep observation and report back any bomb damage etc. With the introduction of hand held radios the boxes were removed.

0
user
carbon

11 years ago

Contest: First one to place what my avavtar is gets a cookie!

And you have just confirmed my hypothesis: Every reasonable human being on the planet watches at least one of the following: Doctor Who, Stargate, and Mythbusters

So what does that say for us that watch all three?