Large-caliber Sundial Answered
I was wandering the web, looking for information for a future Instructable, when I got ever-so-slightly side-tracked.
I came across this blog entry about a bunch of people who made their own, rather unique, sundial:
Our friends in the village are building a garden from scratch, to go with their new house. A key part of garden planning is to get the major design "features" sorted out ahead of the planting. One of the things that the boys wanted was a sundial, so work has started there. The plan follows the traditional method of sundial construction, as you will see from the pictures:
1. Buy a World War II anti-aircraft gun (preferable the portable kind)
2. Put it in the garden.
3. Make sure the safety catch is on.
4. Invite some like-minded nutters round for a barbecue and get them working the elevation controls.
5. Set the barrel to exactly 52 and a bit degrees elevation (to match the latitude of the garden).
6. Do some nifty work with a calculator and a compass to figure out where the hour markers go for precise "Northmoor Time".
7. Unilaterally declare independence - and if anyone argues....:lol:
Link to Blog