Author Options:

Lost wax casting to order. Answered

My kiln is on the fritz, I need to cast a piece but I don't have time to wait for the new kiln to arrive. Does anybody know of any UK companies to whom I can send a carved wax piece and have it cast in precious metal?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies

steveastroukBest Answer (author)2010-12-26

Try the local dental school ? Or a dental technician ?

I was amazed what the guys at Manchester Metropolitan could cast when I saw their facilities.


Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Re-design (author)steveastrouk2010-12-26

Good answer. I didn't even think about them. They might do it labor free just for the experience.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

steveastrouk (author)Re-design2010-12-26

Yes, until you've seen the technology behind dental work, you really don't appreciate the incredible degree of the most beautiful handwork that's involved in it.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

alexhalford (author)2010-12-28

Thanks very much, I shall look into it =]

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

rickharris (author)2010-12-26

You don't need a kiln.

this used to be available on the web but seems to have gone commercial now:

A terracotta plant pot wrapped in a couple of layers of foil in case it breaks.

Placed upside down over a gas camping stove will make a temp kiln to burn out your wax. Keep hot and melt your silver in a crucible with your normal torch and pour into the plaster mold.

If you want high definition get a tin can larger than your casting cylinder  Fit a wood handle - a tuna can works well in most cases.

Line it with wet news paper. After pouring the silver place the can over the mold and press down - OBVIOUSLY take ALL precautions here.

The water in the paper is flashed into steam which presses the silver into the mold.


Do this at your own risk although other have done this for years it as always carries an element of risk which you should work to minimize.



may help

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Re-design (author)2010-12-25

In the absence of any direct answers, find a custom jeweler and ask them nicely and they might put onto a source or do it for you.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer