Many questions about multi-stage coilguns. Answered
May this be a big help for me and others who may stumble upon it.
1. I am controlling my coilgun with a PIC (PIC16F627A). What do I need to do in order to make it trigger SCRs?
2. What sort of external components do I need for the PIC (I'm sort of a newbie to electrical engineering)?
3. Regarding the actual coils, I am going to have 6 stages. How should the individual coils be made for maximum efficiency (I have heard that each successive stage should have less inductance, but I don't know exactly how this works)?
4. How does one go about slotting a metallic (brass) barrel while allowing optogates to work?
5. How exactly do you hook up the optogates to the microcontroller and to power sources?
Any help on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.