205Views4Replies

Author Options:

Microwave transformer electromagnet? Answered

Picture of

Hi so I was bored and decided to make an electromagnet out of a microwave transformer by taking the secondary off and keeping the primary. I hooked it up to some 9v batteries and stuff but it wasn't that strong so I researched it a bit and found out you can hook it up to the transformer input voltage (which was 240v AC) so I did but when I turned it on it made this very loud buzzing noise and I thought I saw what looked like flame in the socket. I turned it off imediately and unplugged everything. Whatever the magnet did must of been strong because it broke itself apart slightly. I tested the sockets with a multimeter and they still say 240v but I just want to make sure I didn't do anything bad to it. Also did anything actually go wrong or was this all meant to happen?

4 Replies

user
steveastrouk (author)2015-06-06

A.) Electromagnets work on DC.

B.) When they work on DC they will pull current = Volts/resistance.

C.) On AC, they will pull nearly the same sort of current as B.) when you have destroyed the rest of the magnetic circuit.

You are very lucky to have not started a fire.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
jlandreth1 (author)steveastrouk2015-06-06

So is everything still meant to work? For example I can still hook it up to 9v batteries and stuff and it does the exact same thing that it did before I plugged it into AC. Will the plug be okay?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
steveastrouk (author)jlandreth12015-06-06

You'll kill 9V batteries in very short order.

Yes, it will be OK, provided you didn't get any smoke out of the coil.

I am not sure about the socket and plug. Flame makes me worry about carbon damage, which is a problem.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
jlandreth1 (author)steveastrouk2015-06-06

Thanks I might do a bit of testing for the socket just to be sure also there wasn't any smoke so I'm pretty sure the coils fine. And yeah I did realise it was taking a lot of power from the 9v and was making sure I didn't use them too much or they get too hot but I'll be more careful now. Thanks

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer