Author Options:

Moldy Spackle? Answered

I am in the process of spackling my house, and every time i open the container, there is a fresh coat of green mold over it.  Does anyone know why this is happening, and how i can stop it?

9 Replies

rickharris (author)2013-05-30

Mould won't grow in an acidic environment - What adding say vinegar to the Spackle will do I don't know you will have to experiment.

Possibly very little. A pint of Vinegar in 2 gallons stops mould - a lower amount may work as well.

You can get fungicides for garden use - worth an experiment.

The mould should attack the dry material.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

mole1 (author)rickharris2013-05-30

Ummmmm I think mold can grow in acidic environments...like grapes, tomatoes, apples, salsa, citrus, quince....

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

rickharris (author)mole12013-05-31

Grows on the surface of damp things in the case of plants it is usually watering the leaves or dew causing the initial conditions. Mould doesn't penetrate inside.

Chicken keepers put cider vinegar into the water to stop algae growth works well.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

mole1 (author)rickharris2013-05-31

Oh. I was thinking more about things I've found in my fridge...but I have no idea what the PH was at the time they got furry. Good to know the vinegar in the water supply trick. Thanks!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

mole1 (author)2013-05-31

rickharris has an interesting point. Algae. Are you sure you're dealing with mold and not algae? Algae growing in/on most things is green. There are other colors, but the most common is, I think, green. Algae is a plant - sometimes microscopic (green scum) - sometimes huge (kelp). Mold eats organic matter. Algae doesn't.

Are you perhaps spraying/misting water over your spackle bucket while using it? If your spray bottle or water source has algae in it, you may be planting the surface of your spackle with gazillions of algae cells all ready to multiply.

Whether it's mold or algae, if you're misting your spackle, sterilize your mister as well as replacing the infected container of spackle.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Vyger (author)2013-05-31

MoldySpackle would be an interesting member name. In my opinion.

Do you live in a damp area? Where I live is usually pretty dry, or frozen. Places that deal with lots of humidity often have mold problems. I would check with a local cleaning company and see what they use.
Another possibility is that you have a bad batch of Spackle.

You could use something different. Sheetrock joint compound would probably be just as good. You can get a quickset compound that dries even if it is damp. Its more like a type of cement and it must be completely used once it is mixed. It comes as a dry powder and you mix however much you need. It is used in moister environments or where they need to get the walls set faster.

Not all molds are bad, after all that is where cheese comes from.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

blkhawk (author)2013-05-30

I remember using years ago a fungicidal additive for paint to prevent mildew from growing. You could check in a hardware store and add it to the plaster.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Josehf Murchison (author)2013-05-30

I have seen this before and you may have a problem in your house.

You may be using infected spackle, DON”T USE IT. If the spackle is clean when you first open it then it is most likely mold spores in the air of your house.

Mold goes to spore when it dries and grows when it is wet.

Do not use bleach or ammonia just a good soap and wash the house from ceiling to floor including all vents and ducts. CLEAN EVERYTHING most people hire pros for this as nothing can be missed.

Some of the most common sources of mold are air conditioners, furnace air filters, and duct work.

Steam clean your carpets.

Then use new spackle to do your repairs, if you don’t use new spackle you will be spreading the mold you just cleaned out of your house.

Since you are spackling I am assuming you plan to paint, use mold resistant or protectant paint.

It took me a month to clean the mold out of a house once and the mold still came back a year later.


Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

iceng (author)2013-05-30
Bleach usually kills mold.

There must be a lot of mold spores in the air when you use the Spackle.

Mold will flourish if it has
  • food =  Spackle
  • Moisture =  in Spackle
  • And warmth

The only thing you can deny the mold is warmth
Put it in a cooler.

Or next fresh spackliing episode open it in a non-infectious room
and remove some with clean utensils in a plastic bag.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer