Author Options:

Please tell me if you can what these two tools are ? Answered

the first is a harpoon looking instrument that has retracting prongs it is quite heavy and have been told that was used for stabbing hay bales but not sure , The second is a plier looking thing and not even sure what ????? They both were found on my past uncles farm where he lived for many decades and i now live and have been finding all kind of stuff that has been quite interesting Jerry I have been trying to upload a few pics but not working will continue to try 


The first tool you mention sounds like a 'Single Harpoon Hay Fork'. They were also made as double harpoon forks, and yes they were used to pierce a bay of hay and allow you to pick it up and move it, hence the need for retracting prongs.

With the other item, you'll need to provide more information, or better yet (as already said), "edit" this question and upload a photo. It will make it easier to help you figure it out.

btw, here's a picture of a single harpoon hay fork. They did vary in design, so it might not look exactly the same as the one you have.


That is exactly what i have when did they use these ? I have been on this farm all my life and have never seen it until recently so i am just wondering how old they are ? The other tool has handles about 14" long the head is about 4" wide and has 3/4 " prongs that stick out on the side in between the prongs is a moving part that retracts when the tool is opened and extends when closed will try again to get a photo Jerry

From what I know, the harpoon hay fork appeared around 1900. Your specific fork may or may not be that old, depending on how long they were manufactured.

As far as the other tool, I really would need to see a picture, if you can upload one. Your description is good, but nothing comes to mind based on those dimensions alone.

Still using these in our Reno acre.


:) You know it amazes me how many different tools are available for doing the same thing. What you show is a classic, and imo, it falls under the category "if its not broken, don't fix it". Clearly its a better design over the harpoon tool, because there is no mechanism for hay to get caught in, plus it seems less likely to break, so no need to reinvent the wheel.

The harpoon can be used in mechanized equipment, such as a baler or feeder, much easier than the plain hook.

I didn't know that. So I guess there was a good reason to make such a thing. Thanks. :)

Those are also used for dragging around sides of meat in the meatpacking industry. Probably many other things as well.

A picture is worth a thousand words! If you post a picture you might get the answer that you seek.


(Although when I clicked on this I was thinking rock climbing equipment based on your username... If you know approx. what type of tools they are such as farm yard tools, etc. you might want to add that to your title)