3715Views5Replies

Author Options:

Should I be worried about beryllium oxide poisoning? Answered

From what I know, the magnetron in a microwave has some beryllium oxide on part of it, which is highly poisonous. I'm pretty sure the magnetron I dealt with had some (it was a pinkish-purple coating on the tube).  I didn't do anything to it, but I think some of it may have gotten accidentally scraped off with the screwdriver I was using to open up the magnetron. 

BeO is a carcinogen and can cause CBD.  If some of it did indeed get scraped off (and I have no idea where it went, maybe into the air?), am I in danger of beryllium poisoning?

5 Replies

user
KitemanBest Answer (author)2012-05-13

"Exposure to fine, airborne beryllium oxide powder or dust in sufficiently large concentrations, may cause a lung disease in a small number of hypersensitive people."

[Link]

[Scarier link]

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
jesch1234 (author)Kiteman2012-05-13

First off, thanks for the quick response!

Secondly, I've seen those links, but I still have a lot of questions. There are a lot of qualifiers and no solid numbers there ("sufficiently large concentrations," "may cause," etc). I'm wondering if there's anything more specific about how much is a serious problem.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Kiteman (author)jesch12342012-05-13

Personally, I wouldn't worry - it was a small amount that was released, and you probably took in only a small proportion of that, if anything.

Only worry if you get any symptoms you cannot account for, then explain your possible predicament to your doctor.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
jesch1234 (author)Kiteman2012-05-13

Great, thank you. I just called a poison control center to check, and they said essentially the same thing. Thanks a lot!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
TonyV71 (author)2018-02-06

How are you know because this happened to me.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer