1513Views7Replies

Author Options:

The spider plant root forms a bulb cluster when a year or two old. Very hardy and very prolific. Are they edible? Answered

7 Replies

user
icengBest Answer (author)2012-10-24

Spider plants are in the lily family, related to day lilies, which have edible tuberous roots.
So, technically spider plant roots should be edible by the definition of being non-toxic.
However, I would not recommend eating this plants bulb cluster.

A

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Vyger (author)2012-10-24

My daughter's cat Bond (Homers brother) took up eating her Spider plant. It made him pretty sick. He lost a lot of weight and was always throwing up. After she finally figured out that he was eating it and removed it he made a full recovery. So, from the cat test, it probably won't kill you but most likely it will make you puke. Of course he ate it raw, I don't know if there are any recipes out there for cooking it.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Vyger (author)Vyger2012-10-24

Bond, just Bond, the Spider plant eater.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
iceng (author)Vyger2012-10-25

Are not cats harmed by aspirin ?
While we humans can and do consume acetylsalicylic acid daily.

A

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Vyger (author)iceng2012-10-25

To much aspirin for any animal is poisonous and that includes people. A lot of little kids used to get poisoned by aspirin until they put childproof caps on it and it can be fatal. Since a cat has so much less body mass than even a child I would imagine that even a small amount would be toxic.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
iceng (author)Vyger2012-10-25

You are right ,  by body weight that is a massive dose.

Dogs can eat chocolate as a dog of my daughters consumed a half
of a chocolate cake years ago and lived on to consume
whole chickens less the beak and some pin feathers..

A

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer