Author Options:

Transistor? Answered

I am constructing the flyback driver found on the power labs website and cant get a 2N3055 transistor quite yet. I do, however, have a bag of transistors i pulled out of CRT monitors. I was wondering if one would be a good substitute for the 2N3055 for driving a new flyback, the number is C4916, the base-collector voltage is 1500 V and the Collector current is 7 Amp



Best Answer 6 years ago

The 2N3055 is a 60V  15A with a Min hfe = 20 at 4A.
It stands to reason 
the C4916 a 1500V  7A  with Min hfe = 8 at 1A or 4 @ 5A
is the wrong current and Gain


And illustrated the trade off between Vce max and Hfe....

:Look at the Hfe figure, at the expected operating current. If its the same (or preferably higher), you can use it.

The 2N3055 is a venerable device, there are better Darlington devices now.

What you do is Google for "2N3055 datasheet", then do the same for the transistors you have and see if you can find a reasonable match.


this is it