Author Options:

UK 240 volt to US 120 volt step down converter. Answered

Hi Folks.
I was chosen as an alternative winner for the camera & photo skills challenge & received my printer a few days ago.
My problem is that the printer I received is a US specification one meaning it is set up for 120v & in the UK we use 240v; I have been trying to find a 240v to 120v step down converter for it but so far have had no luck as I need one with a functioning earth & the only ones I have found are not suitable as most of them do not have a proper earth pin available, the few that do have an earth are far beyond my current available budget.
I have tried EBay to no avail likewise Maplin, eBuyer & PC World; does anyone know somewhere in the UK that I can purchase a suitable one that does not cost the earth? (Pardon the pun)
Thanks in advance for your help folks.
Seasons Greetings to you all.
Nostalgic Guy.


Get a Site transformer from B+Q.

Are you sure the printer isn't universal input ?

I think a site transformer might be considered taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut ;-)
It states 110v on the printer housing & the supplied cable is a US type with two flat pins for live & neutral & a round pin for earth.
The following is direct from the Epson web site:-
Rated Voltage: 120 VAC
Rated Frequency: 50 – 60 Hz
Rated Current: 0.8 Amp
Power Consumption:
Normal mode: Approx. 25 W ISO 10561
Sleep mode: Approx. 5.0 W
Power off mode: Approx. 0.3 W
ENERGY STAR® qualified
Safety Standards: Safety standards UL60950-1, CAN/CS4-222 No. 60950-1, EMI FCC Part 15 subpart B class B, CAN/CSA-CEI/IEC CISPR 22 class B
I have found a couple online this evening that may do the job; it appears I was wrong about PC World they do carry one & according to the website they have one in stock at my local branch so I may take a trip there in the morning.
In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions for less than £26.00 I would be very happy see them.

Maplin did 'em too at one point at least. Is the PSU built in or a rat-in-a-snake ?


Built in I'm afraid.
My first thought was Maplin but the only one I can find is a multi volt adaptor for laptops; the input on the printer is a three pin kettle type lead so that would not do the job.
The local Maplin branch is quite close to PC World so I may pop in there first just in case they have one that I have not seen on the web site.

35 quid ?

Not to say that Maplin are getting a bit pricey but I found this one just after I got your message :-)
Just a small price difference for the same product at £18.50, of course Maplin still has the advantage of being local & as we have two branches in town considerably more convenient; but still one heck of a price difference though.

For the sake of speed & convenience I may go for the one in PC World; it's certainly cheaper than the £50.00 plus ones I was finding this afternoon & it would save waiting for the mail this time of year, if they don't have one in stock then it looks like I will be visiting ebay again.
Of course I could always move to Stockport :-)

You should be able to replace the power-module: take it apart, current-limit it with a fillament-lamp in series, see what DC it's giving.


Not a bad idea for the right person & if I were an electronics techy type guy I may have done just that.
To be honest I would rather pay out a few quid for a suitable converter than pull apart a perfectly good brand new printer & mess about with stuff I frankly know nothing about & wreck it ;-)