Author Options:

UK equivalents? Answered

Hi! I l found this very interesting and informative and guess the same principles apply in the UK, where I live. But are you able to tell me the British equivalents of the wires and parts, please?

1 Replies

Paige RussellBest Answer (author)2017-08-21

Hi Rainey,

I'm glad you enjoyed the class! I did some digging and it looks like in the UK, SVT is called '3 core round' and SVT-1 would be '2 core flat'. Your brown wire is HOT, blue wire is NEUTRAL, and the yellow & green striped one is GROUND (if there is a ground.)

And I believe the equivalent to our medium based phenolic sockets used in the pendant class are E27 for you.

Here's a UK online retailer of parts that looks to have everything you'll need: http://www.lampspares.co.uk/

You may find that there aren't equivalents for every part, but it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to track most things down.

Once you've decided which lamp(s) you want to make, if you need more help translating specific parts, just let me know!


Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer