Author Options:

Under Desk Lighting Answered

I'm getting ready to purchase a desk with frosted glass surfaces (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/578355/Realspace-Alluna-Collection-Milk-Glass-L/) and want to add lights of some sort under one of the surfaces so that I can use part of the desk as a lightbox for sorting negatives and slides.  I'm guessing that a fluorescent fixture of some sort would be best, but I need ideas on mounting (there are rails along the front and back of the surfaces that have around a quarter-inch clearance from the rubber offsets that hold the glass), what kind of light to get and how to wire it.  Anyone have any ideas?

2 Replies

milsorgen (author)2010-01-11

I'm not sure what kind of lumen output you need and what space constraints your facing but I would suggest off the shelf stuff affixed with a sturdy, yet easily removable adhesive such as your ordinary hot glue. I'm sure a quick stroll down the lighting/electrical isles of Home Depot will give you a multitude of quick and easy setups you can implement on short order.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

lemonie (author)2009-12-30

I'd mount a tube on the legs. Buy a full fitting for ceiling-mounting (i.e. with the metal box), and look at brackets / pipe clamps.
For the wiring wire + plug. You might want to add a switch, but like the light, buy one with a box for mounting to the structure of a building.


Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer