Author Options:

What USB to Serial/FTDI cable/device should i buy? Answered

i have been given a budget of 100$ for a project i'm building. for this project(which i'll probably make an instructable about) i'm going to be using a couple of Atmega328's in an arduino'ish configuration.

my problem is that i'm unsure about what i should use to program them with.
i need the programmer to be somewhat portable as i'll be using it in many upcoming projects. i also read something about the way the programmer resets the atmega328 should be different or something.

should i buy an FTDI-cable or a FTDI basic breakout?

4 Replies

qazwsx755 (author)2010-12-09

Do you already have Arduino Duemilanove, Diecimila or Nano?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

maewert (author)2010-05-17

You may consider using the Ardweeny from Solarbotics with a Sparksfun FTDI basic programmer.  The Ardweeny is about $10 and provides nearly everything you'd need to get started.  The Sparksfun FTDI programmer is under $15.  The Ardweeny is a simple to build daughterboard that sits on top of the 328 which is included.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

gmxx (author)2010-05-09

 The AVR programer makes the most sense, unless you are buying the chips with the ardion bootloader installed. They cost about a buck more per chip.

If you want the ftdi cable/breakout, sparkfun.com has one that is well recommended

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

steveastrouk (author)2010-05-08

For "naked" 328s you're much better buying the ATISP II programmer and putting a six pin header on your boards. You can mess around with Arduino loaders, but you have to put them on the chip with ISP II to begin with....

I'd get the cable, its a really neat thing

The programmer is less than 25 dollars

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer