Author Options:

What are these flexible moldable metal coils called and where do I get them? Answered

Hello guys,

I am doing a project for a laser show and I need something flexible and moldable to holdup the lasers in a specific positions.

I am looking for something like a flexible tube. Something like this.


You see that phone holder attached to that metal bendable and moldable coil thing? I need that.

I need to know what they're called and where I can find them, and hopefully in different lengths and thicknesses.


6 Replies

BurfBest Answer (author)2011-01-22

Google for "flexible gooseneck tubing"

You can get it in chrome, black or multi-color plastic coatings, in various lengths.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

cammcmillen (author)Burf2011-01-22

aaaa Gooseneck.

Thank you good sir

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

deston1 (author)2015-03-01

can you "gut" the tubing so wires can be fed through it?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

richfiddler11 (author)2012-09-20

I would also like to find a source of this small diameter (1/8"-1/4") flexible gooseneck tubing for a mini microphone mounting application, but it is hard to find in small quantities.

If you don't need it to be hollow, aluminum 'armature' wire makes a good material for flexible arms. Armature wire is used by sculptors to build a frame to strengthen clay sculptures (think about sculpting a horse). It can be found at some art supply stores and comes in a variety of diameters.

Here is one online supplier: 


Heat shrink tubing, aquarium air tubing or other flexible tubing can be used to cover the aluminum. For example, many of the suction cup flexible gps/phone/gadget mounts used in cars have a very heavy gauge aluminum wire inside a black plastic corrugated tube.

Finally, Heavy gauge (12 ga or lower) solid copper electrical wire can also work for light applications. This has the advantage of solder as a connection option, since solder adheres well to copper (aluminum, not so much).

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

cammcmillen (author)2011-01-22

No actually I don't want the stand, I'm only looking for the flexible tube or pipe that its hooked up to.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Kiteman (author)2011-01-22

Working backwards from the links you gave, you can get them fromhere.

You may also want to consider one of the Gorillapod range.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer