Author Options:

What is the correct name for this plastic? Answered

I have seen this stuff used by machinists for jig making and small parts. What is the professional name for this plastic? I thought it might be ABS plastic but i dont know for sure



5 years ago

Delrin ;-)

Want to share?

Here is what i picked up today...


Dont think so... Teflon is normally quite non-shine-trough and brilliant white. And in the image posted i can see some shine-trough (especially in the shorter round piece and on the edged of the block).
I just checked teflon-blocks in our mecahnical workspace and it looks different... Much more like a pressed block of very white flour...

But from the looks it could be POM (Acetal) without carbon if i compare the image to the stocks at the workspace. We have white and black POM (Acetal) while the black one is slightly electro-conductive to fight ESD (electrostatic discharge). Our mechanical guy told me that POM is quite common and available from all sizes up to huge blocks.
Also not this expensive, but not cheap either. For a DIY a perfect find since it is very simple and easy to work with.

Forgive my ignorance. What does the term "shine-trough" mean?

Ok: My bad.
See, i am not native english-speaking... So with a some words i try to make a word-by-word-translation... And sometimes that doesnt work... Like in this case.

"translucent" is the word i was searching an didnt find in the back of my head. in this case, translucent is even maybe a bit strong... "Mildly translucent" may fit better.

--> Not your ignorance but my lack of knowledge in the english language. :)

Oh, I understand now...
Here is a link to a bowl made with a piece of it.

Ah! Nice! And i still say: If i look how translucent (i start to like that word!) the bowl is if you see the candle in it... Thats (i would say) no PTFE for sure. Too translucent.
But maybe someone will come up and explain that there is also translucent teflon. I dont know if thats the case, have never seen any translucent PTFE...

Do you have some turnings/flakes from the built left? Try to ignite them over a normal candle. If they burn, it is no Teflon for sure. They can melt if Teflon, since a candle is 800-1400°C and PTFE melts at 327°C... But burning teflon? Nah.

Teflon comes in different colors I have had red green white and blue along with different shades. Most times the difference is due to the Teflon being made for specialized jobs like ballistic tips.


Ah... OK... Never seen/used other PTFE than natural white.
But still: The shine-trough is a bit off-teflon i think. But you seem to be more experienced with that plastic than me. :)

Opaque or translucent is the term I think you are looking for but there are about twenty words that say the same thing, translation programs are limited that is why I don’t pay attention to the quality of English here and I just listen to the writers intent.

You might take a look at those simple tests to maybe identify it:

Maybe a bit costly, but we used those kits in the past with success:

Other methods and charts:

I there are a couple diferent types of material... Ill have to do some checking... Either way for what i want to do with this stuff it will work nicely i think... It would be nice to now exactly what i do have so i will have to check out these charts you pointed out... Thank you

Could be Acetal, as Liquidhandwash wrote. If you clean off the gunk (or machine it smooth, as in the picture you included in a comment), how much friction is there? If you can slide two large blocks without resistance, it is likely to be PTFE (Teflon).

Either way, don't waste it by machining out little pieces. The stuff is pricey in bulk, and is incredibly useful for slide bearings, chemically inert seals, and the like.

No, i dont plan on wasting it... I do have some ideas for making a few jigs with it... What would glue this stuff together for a good bond? Epoxy? From what i have read, scuffing the surface helps to glue it.

Urgh. You really need to know the material to choose a bonding agent. Essentially nothing will bond PTFE (Teflon) without some serious preparation. Acetal is almost as bad. You could try the "thistothat.com" Web site, which is an adhesive database.

The rod is a type of nylon, it great for bushes as its self lubricating. the block is possibly Acetal but it is very hard to tell as the two are very similar.
have a look at

Judging by the turned pictures the plastic is one used fro turning and called Delrin

From wiki

"Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon and Hostaform."

There are so many names for this stuff, I'm not sure what to call it!

You could try one of these plastic identification charts on the swarf from machining:

I found a nice free load of it. Looks great for jigs and stuff... Turns very nice on my lathe... An instructable will be forthcoming soon!!!