Author Options:

What is this tool? Answered

Today, I had a clear out of the workshop (Okay, shed) and found this peculiar tool. It's being lingering around for years now, and I've never been able to figure out exactly what it is and where it came from.

The orange thing pushes down and locks, and when it is at the bottom a tiny metal rod appears and dissapears again at the end of the white nozzle. It holds in place until you press the orange button, at which point it fires the orange thing out at a fairly high speed, and it stops when it reaches the end of the blue channel. If you cover over the nozzle, it fires very slowly, so it probably sucks air from there.

Does anybody know what this tool is?


it's a dessoldering pump. It's used to suck the solder when melted from PCB's.
to use it you press the piston down, melt the solder with the soldering iron (it has to be very hot to do this), put the tip on the solder and press the button which will release the piston and suck the solder.

+1 or as we call it a solder sucker.

it's a de-soldering pump to remove solder from a board.