Author Options:

What it this component and how do I use it? Answered

Hello, smart people!
I hope you can help me.
I found this component inside a computer PSU. On the buttom it says "305-32114-220 rev:2 0449" but I haven't been able to find any information from that.
It looks like a coil, or transformer. And it has a capacitor on top. But it only has two wires, so what is it? And what is it used for?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

Re-designBest Answer (author)2011-04-11

It's probably a "choke". Used in power supplies to help smooth out the dc and other uses.

Check out this info.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

toelle (author)Re-design2011-04-12

Seems about right...
Does this only work for something like 100-300VAC, or can it be used to smooth out, say a 5V PWM square wave?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Re-design (author)toelle2011-04-12

Different values on the choke works better on certain frequencies (IFRC).

With the capacitor there it is probably meant to be resonant at a certain frequency.

You could try it and see.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

lemonie (author)Re-design2011-04-11