Author Options:

What kind of plastic film is this? Answered

Hi All,
I've come across this art installation by Ann Veronica Janssens https://imgur.com/a/RhWVa and would really like to find out what this semi reflective material is for a small project I'm working on. Does anyone have any idea what it may be and where would be a good place to source something like it? Thanks 

2 Replies

Jack A Lopez (author)2018-01-23

It is some kind of metalized plastic film


probably metalized boPET,


The almost totally reflective, mirror-like version, is commonly called, "mylar", which is a genericized trademark. The original trademark, "Mylar(r)" was the trade name given to this material by Dupont, the company that first manufactured it.

I am guessing that what you want is some kind of partially reflective version of the same thing, but I am not sure what they call it. Maybe, "partially reflective bopet film"?


Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Downunder35m (author)2018-01-22

I would say mylar foil as used a lot now as a screen for prjectors (pseudo 3D, ghost images...).
Some gift wraps show similar properties.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer