167Views5Replies

Author Options:

What should I do if I broke a CFL.? Answered

 Besides clean up the glass. I understand that there is mercury in them. Is there a an amount in one bulb that could cause a health hazard?

5 Replies

user
kelseymhBest Answer (author)2010-03-03

No, the quantity of mercury in a CFL (milligrams or less) is not a health hazard if your room has good ventilation.  You should still clean it up, so it doesn't persist and get ingested by someone or something small.  Here's what the U.S. EPA recommends.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
orksecurity (author)2010-03-03

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/#fluorescent

(Websearch: "broken compact fluorescent")

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
kelseymh (author)orksecurity2010-03-03

:-)  I think I started writing my comment before yours, but it took me longer to collect the EPA URL.  Oh, well.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
orksecurity (author)kelseymh2010-03-04

I have a friend who signs this kind of answer with a "job title" of Web Search Engineer.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
kelseymh (author)orksecurity2010-03-04

:-D  That is most excellent!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer