Author Options:

What is this plastic tubing called? Answered

Picture of

Hi all, I came across these woven plastic tubing which when squeezed on either end turn into toy rockets in a science and technology museum and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could source more of these things. I recall they were named 'boone rockets' but that's been a fruitless internet search.

I would love to apply this product to jewellery/sculpture so it would be good to know what the process/technology is called.


4 Replies

RavensCraftBest Answer (author)2013-08-15

Do a search for "braided sleeving" on EBAY.
Maybe if you ask a seller, they could even help
you find / get the exact same thing .

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

flubbersaurus (author)2013-10-27

This I believe is called a 'Chinese finger wars' me and my dad used to always play with it just google Chinese finger wars

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

rickharris (author)2013-08-16

In general the braiding is used to keep cables tidy so any electrical or electronic supplier should have it - maybe not in that colour!

If you insert an inflatable tube inside and crimp the ends allowing one end to have a plastic pipe for air input you make a shadow muscle


These are used in robotics and give a powerful smooth pull.

In a rocket the only use of the braiding I can see is to prevent the insert exploding.- they don't add any substance to the rocket effect.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

jarris (author)2013-08-15