Yuri's Night 2008! Answered
tickets for Yuri's Night Bay Area 2008 are
now on sale!
Yuri's Night is back! We're bigger and better than ever
and we need your help to spread the word!
Yuri's Night Bay Area
2pm - 2am, April 12th, 2008
NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA
This year the San Francisco Bay Area will be home to the largest Yuri's Night celebration ever. At the NASA Ames Research Center over 8,000 people will join astronauts, artists, musicians, scientists and engineers to learn, celebrate, and pay tribute to our global space heritage; and to celebrate the anniversaries of the first human spaceflight and the first space shuttle mission. Yuri's Night Bay Area 2008 is a one-of-a-kind local community event: a perfect fusion of celebration and tribute, technology expo, Maker Faire, art exhibition, and music festival; all rolled into one.
Yuri's Night Bay Area 2008 includes:
- A mind-expanding series of speakers, including world-renowned video game designer WILL WRIGHT, creator of SimCity, SimEarth, The Sims, and many other games including his exciting upcoming game of life, evolution, and exploration: SPORE; NASA astrobiologist JONATHAN TRENT, leader of the new NASA G.R.E.E.N. team for green technology research; and SAUL GRIFFITH, head of an innovative new company seeking to harness high-altitude wind energy as a cheap alternative to coal: MAKANI POWER.
- A TECHNOLOGY SHOWCASE featuring leading Bay Area green technology companies including CALCARS and TESLA MOTORS. Plus, dozens of art and science installations spanning everything from NASA research ROBOTS to the unveiling of the newest fire sculpture by the FLAMING LOTUS GIRLS.
- DISCUSSIONS and FORUMS where event attendees will get the chance to take on some big questions surrounding Space Exploration, Radical Sustainability, and the Future of Humanity in our Festival of Ideas.
- A world-class lineup of musical artists, ranging from the electronic breakbeat sounds of AMON TOBIN, TIPPER, and JOHN TEJADA to rockin' live performances by FREEZEPOP, PARTICLE, and the very special debut of TELSTAR, featuring PHIL LESH of the Grateful Dead.
- Live performances of all kinds, from dance and acrobatics by CAPACITOR (San Francisco's ground-breaking interdisciplinary dance company) to aerial demonstrations featuring Yuri-Gagarin-era AEROBATIC AIRCRAFT.
- ...and much, much more! Browse the partial list below!
Tickets are available on-line for $40 (plus applicable fees). A limited number of tickets may be available for $50 at the door -- check the website for status. If you are interested in helping out at the event, please fill out the volunteer form on our website.
We hope to see you there!
- The Yuri's Night Bay Area Team
YURI'S NIGHT 2008 LINE-UP
TALKS AND INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCES
- NASA SCIENTISTS and ASTRONAUTS
- A do-it-yourself SHOW AND TELL by INSTRUCTABLES
- WILL WRIGHT, creator of SimCity, SimEarth, and the forthcoming Spore
- NASA astrobiologist JONATHAN TRENT, leader of the new NASA G.R.E.E.N. team for green technology research.
- A CUSTOM MUSIC INTERFACE CONTEST by CreateDigitalMusic
- Leading Bay Area minds including SAUL GRIFFITH, head of MAKANI POWER
- ...and MUCH, MUCH MORE!
ART AND SCIENCE INSTALLATIONS
- The unveiling of the newest work by the FLAMING LOTUS GIRLS
- A variety of NASA RESEARCH ROBOTS AND AIRCRAFT
- MASSIVE SCULPTURE by MICHAEL CHRISTIAN
- VIDEO PROJECTION by KOSHO, CELESTINE STAR, and many others
- Amazing water vortex effects by SUFFICIENTLY ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
- Large-scale kinetic art by SWARM
- An art in space, space science, and sustainablity-themed S.T.E.A.M. DOCUMENTARY PROGRAM
- A space- and sustainablity-themed DOCUMENTARY SCREENING DOME
- ...and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE!
LIVE PERFORMANCES AND DANCE
- CAPACITOR: Live aerial performance and dance
- BAD UNKL SISTA: breathtaking costumes and dance-inspired performance
- THE VONSTILT FAMILY: Gravity-defying stilt performances
- A LIVE AEROBATIC DEMONSTRATION, featuring three unique Yuri-era
airplanes flown by three of the best aerobatic pilots in the world.
- ...and more!
LIVE INSTRUMENTAL AND VOCAL MUSIC
- TELSTAR (feat. Phil Lesh, Steve Molitz, and John Molo)
- FREEZEPOP (Boston): indie synthpop / new wave
- PARTICLE: instrumental space-disco-dance
- BLVD w/ SOULEYE: hip-hop, house, & breaks
- ZOE KEATING: avant garde looping cello
- MJ GREENMOUNTAIN vs. YOSSI FINE: global fusion and afro-tribal funk
- CHRISTOPHER WILLITS (12k, Ghostly Intl.): processed guitar soundscapes
- GAMELAN X: the intergalactic 17-member percussive melodic marching troupe
- LULACRUZA: Argentinan percussion, guitar, and vocals
- THE SWEET SNACKS: Ghettotech and big beat
- AMON TOBIN (Ninja Tune/Montreal)
- TIPPER (UK, special twilight downtempo set)
- JOHN TEJADA (LA/palette recordings)
- LUSINE (Ghostly Intl., Seattle) : live set
- SCUBA (Hotflush Recordings, UK)
- DIGITONAL vs. POSTHUMAN (UK): with live violin
- [A]PENDICS.SHUFFLE (LA): live set
- DERU (Merck, LA): live set
- TYCHO (Ghostly, Merck): live set
- RANDOM RAB (El Circo): live set
- MR. PROJECTILE (Merck): live set
- DR. TOAST (False Profit) vs. GANUCHEAU: live