Zeitgeist, Randomizer, Community Blog, and more! Answered
We just released a bunch of sweet new features and added more cool stuff to the homepage.
- Zeitgeist is originally a German expression that means "the spirit of the age", literally translated as "time (Zeit) spirit (Geist)". It describes the intellectual and cultural climate of an era. Our Zeitgeist sorting orders Instructables, Slideshows, and Videos by the most recent comments, so you can see what people are talking about right now! On the homepage, the Zeitgeist section shows featured Instructables with the most recent comments. Zeitgeist is essentially the way we've been sorting forum topics.
- You can sort forum topics by "featured" or by total number of replies. Yes, Random fun is still in the lead.
- Featured forum topics appear on the homepage forming our Community Blog. We're using the Community Blog to share stuff we find interesting that isn't necessarily related to Instructables. We'll post about local events, new really interesting research, cool websites, and anything else that we find captivating. If you've got something you'd like to share on the Community Blog, write a forum topic and ask us to feature it.
- A captcha is now required to send personal messages. This will stop PM spammers dead in their tracks. Yes, Instructables has grown big enough that spammers are trying to PM large numbers of the community - this right of passage for our website makes me shed tears of joy - or something.
- Your sorting options will now follow you around while you explore. On the explore page, if you click "recent" to see the latest items and then, for example, click a keyword, to drill down on a subject, or the Slideshow tab, to see Slideshows, that list will still be sorted by recent.
- Clicking Randomizer will give your random results within your browsing category. Discover cool Instructables you've never seen before, or resurface old gems!
- Finally, we improved the login process: Click the "login" link in the upper right, and you can log in right there on the same page.
I'm having a lot of fun with Zeitgeist; let us know what new features you really like, and please report any bugs you find.