476Views7Replies

Author Options:

annoying static discharge problem Answered

I really like these liquid vitamins, but every other bottle I get gives me a long series of random painful electric shocks when I try to open it! You can't hear it, but in the video when I get near the bottle with the probe a snapping sound can be heard. The shocks are seemingly random and some went as high as 500mv. I didn't catch the first shock, which was the worst, from the first time I tried to open the bottle. I tried grounding the bottle, but nothing seems to help. Thanks for any suggestions

6 Replies

user
LasVegas (author)2006-12-30

It occurred to me later after retiring that another experiment to demonstrate the amount of static charge would be to bring a florescent bulb near the bottle. Each spark would result in a flash of light as well.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
foobear (author)LasVegas2006-12-30

cool! Next bottle I get I am going to try that. I wonder if those little Ikea florescent light bulb replacements would work. I'm still afraid to pull that metal cover thingie off the bottle. I just know it's going to bite me bad! Maybe I had the setting of the meter too low and the spike went out of range so quickly that the meter didn't have time to catch up to it and I only saw the numbers rising or falling momentarily. Next time I will try it on a higher setting and see. Thanks!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
LasVegas (author)foobear2006-12-30

Yes. I expect any florescent bulb would work. To do this, hold the bulb in one hand and ground your other hand. Touch the other end of the bulb to the source. Don't worry, with the bulb between you and the source, you probably wouldn't feel the spark. A higher setting on the meter wouldn't work. Digital meters are just too slow to capture a static discharge. You might be able to register a static spike using an oscilloscope with memory, but still it wouldn't actually measure the voltage level accurately.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Gnaw (author)2006-12-30

This is the first time I've read about a vitamin bottle viciously attacking a human with electric shocks. I felt obligated to contribute something to this thread in hopes that the human race would take a stand against these monsters and strip them of their power so they may once again become our submissive, nutritional providing servants!

I research the root of the problem found here Once you understand the beast's power you will understand the beast!

After reading this document, I concluded that attempting to rub the vitamin bottle on your head and sticking it to the wall, in hopes that the monsters power will diminish, wouldn’t work (and you may look silly).

However, Vegas' suggestion sounds like its worth a shot. Find some sort of material/items that will be attracted to this monsters electromagnetic field. Then, rig it in such a way that it may be able to give some you some sense of measurement in determining it’s strength. (You know those styrofoam packing fluffies in boxes? I was once attacked by a horde of them after opening a box delivered by Purolator... birthday surprise indeed grandma!) May god have mercy on our souls!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
foobear (author)Gnaw2006-12-30

I think it might be the same thing as this here:

http://www.esdjournal.com/static/shower/shower.html

Plus the vitamins have lots of minerals floating around in a liquid, maybe that could create some sort of static capacitor or something (I know nothing, just PIDOOMA).

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
LasVegas (author)2006-12-29

Static discharges are measured in the 10's of kilovolts (thousands of volts), not millivolts (thousanths of volts). You would not feel 500mv (1/2v) but would definitely feel 20kv even at very minute currents. The tool for measuring static electricity is a lot more sensitive than your Fluke meter. You could create a test jig made from a couple lengths of magnet wire and small sheets of aluminum foil tied to the end. Suspend them over or near the bottle. Then you can judge the attraction or repulsion of the aluminum when brought near the bottle. Try it with the wire grounded and ungrounded. As to what's causing the static generation, I couldn't begin to claim expertise in. I could hazard a guess at it being a possible chemical reaction between the plastic the bottle is made from and the contents.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer