Author Options:

bass tube overdrive? Answered

i would like to build a simple valve overdrive, will the valvelitzer do or will it need some mods?NO FUZZ plz, im looking for a nice warm creamy valve overdrive.gmoon can you help a clueless lad like me?

1 Replies

MahavishnuMan (author)2010-01-25

I don't know the specifics on designing a tube amplifier, but I can tell you that if this is designed for bass and you want to avoid smooshy fuzz, you may need to have two amps in one.

Bi-amping with a crossover is responsible for Chris Squire's signature tone, which has tight low-end and good, trebley bite.  By running the lows through a clean amp and the highs through overdrive, it keeps the bass tone from getting flabby.

I would recommend building an adjustable crossover prior to the tubes; send the low end through an amp designed for clean tones, and the highs through the driven tubes.

There's my idea, now you just have to build it.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer