Author Options:

can we use any ic as a switch if yes then how ? Answered

i want switching witha ic




2 years ago

You can use these IC as switches and control DC, AC as shown.

bb.jpgSSRFET1.pngOPTOISO-Triac-Triac-sw.JPGOPTOISO Isw.jpgOPTOISO -sw.jpg

Hope u understand a micro or some kind of sensor replaces the push switch...

You can use a transistor . A transistor works like a switch. or you can also use amplifier ic .

Sometimes I am amased how much you guys post as a resonse with nothing to go at LOL

It's a gift....

The Irish are born with it, I believe...

All this time and I never knew you had Irish blood!

Well yes, I cut my hand rock climbing on Inishmore a delightful Aran island.

I voiced a desire to see a green Leprechaun and promptly stumbled and fell to the ground. My face 10 cm from a large brilliant green beetle...


Welcome to the finest race on Planet Earth (my wife is Irish) so I have to say that.

We have the same beetle here in Canada it is called the Emerald Mortician. It lays it's eggs in rotting corpses.

Another name for it is a cadaver beetle, there are a number of cadaver beetles sometimes called undertaker beetles, and some even bury small rodents and birds when they lay their eggs.

yes, by designing a circuit to use them. There are many choices.

Vague question => vague answer

I know this is not going to be of little help, but yes and no.

All logic ICs are switches, a OPamp is an IC and depending on how you wire it rail to rail it can act like a switch.

However you are asking for circuits that number in the millions.

So what IC do you want to use?

Do you mean to use it as a relay?

i suggest you use a switching transistor or MOSFET...its a far easy to use and cheap too..it can also handle range of voltages and currents


2 years ago

If you just trying to control power to something small, most any transistor will do the job, but if you want to switch an analog signal to something, a FET, analog switch, MUX, or in some cases, a relay is needed.

MOSFETs can be used in some cases for passing or isolating signals since they sorta-kinda act like electrically variable resistors, but realistically they have a few serious limitations because of the body diode and stuff for passing signals between the source and drain. I have a few TL601 and TL604 chips, which are quite nice but have a pretty high ON resistance.

For strictly AC signals, even simple DIODES can be used! You just capacitively couple the signal to the diode, so it looks like

-----| |----->|------| |------

and by applying a DC offset voltage to the diode, you can control the AC signal. W2AEW has a good video about this.

You usually use a transistor as a solidstate switch. If you're switching AC, you can use a thyristor or triac.