candle's black smoke deposit seems not to be electrically conductive Answered
(This is the first topic of the "failed experiments" group.)
I was wondering if the black smoke of the candles could be electrically conductive (carbon) when deposited as a layer over a piece of glass.
After a quick and basic experimentation, it seems it is not.
Here is how I proceeded :
- I've put a piece of glass over the flame of a candle so a black smoke deposit appear on its surface.
- I did so that it becomes opaque (if you want to try, be careful that the piece of glass may break because of the heat)
- then, I used two crocodile clamps to make the contact (I've put a certain depth of aluminum foil between the claws of the clamp and the piece of glass)
- then, I tried to measure the resistance with a multimeter, but the multimeter displayed no value at all.