Author Options:

ganged SPST? Answered


according to the circuit diagram posted in the link.
the SPST switch must be ganged with P1.
how should i do it?
what does the word "ganged" mean?

6 Replies

SlowpokeBest Answer (author)2011-11-07

SW1 is an on/off switch that is physically attached to P1 (potentiometer/variable resistor - used as a volume control in this circuit). An example would be like an old transistor radio where the on/off switch was also the volume switch.

You can use a separate switch and volume control with this circuit.
'Ganged' means that they are physically connected and work together. A combined on/off/volume control is just simply convenient.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

codestroy7 (author)Slowpoke2011-11-07

in the component list provided SW1 is a SPST switch and P1 is a potentiometer.
how should i put it, such that SW1 is ganged with P1?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Slowpoke (author)codestroy72011-11-07

Fabricating a 'switch/pot' isn't all that simple. You would have to buy one or find an old usable unit. Making sure that its potentiometer is the correct resistance for the circuit - refer to parts list. This circuit is an audio circuit and the potentiometer is a volume control, it would an audio taper potentiometer and not linear. Not that it really matters. The difficulty is that 'switch/pots' are getting harder to find. Some specialist suppliers may have suitable units - such as guitar amp (tube type) parts suppliers. Just hunt around and you will find a suitable unit.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Quercus austrina (author)2011-11-07

MCMElectronics to the rescue, although they are linear pots.


Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

Re-design (author)2011-11-07

Most any electronic supplier that supplies parts for radios and amps will carry them. Mouser, Frys even Radio shack still has a few.

But you could just use a separate pot and switch.  The only thing wrong with that is when you turn it on it will be at the volume level set by the pot.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer