. Are you sure it has a battery? It may be powered through the wiring.
Thank you for the response. How do I tell if it is powered through the wiring and what would make the dector keep beeping? It is driving me crazy.
. Search the Web for a manual for your detector or contact the manufacturer.
Yes, no point making it hardwired without making it separately powered.
The detectors in my parents place are hard wired, with no backup power source. they run 3 wires plus ground; hot, neutral and 'signal' - all the detectors in the house go off if any go off. When they go off we kill the breaker :S