my 9v batter is overheating on the LEDs (This was a DIY project I'm worried I messed up somewhere)? Answered
I'm pretty new to LED work and this might seem like a really round about process to how I did this but I'm going to explain the whole thing and hopefully find a solution to my problem!
First off I bought these Fairy Lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MD1RQ6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought them to put into rave fluffies (that I hope to sell at some point) I've attached photos below of what they look like if people didn't know.
I bought them because of the small battery pack so they could sit nicely along the legs and not bother anyone and, because they're rainbow and do a beautiful blinking pattern. The problem with them is that the battery packs completely sucked. Big time. They would work for about a minute and then start loosing higher voltage colors and then about at the 3 minute mark they would just be totally red. I figured they were crappy batter packs so I decided to mess with it.
Rave Fluffies: http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-11088499841243/striped-fluffies-monster-blue-pink-purple-white-24.jpg
The fairy lights themselves were to short so, I decided to solder to strands together, then I trashed the battery pack that came with them and replaced it with a 9v batter pack adapter. I tested it out on some 9 volt batteries laying around the house and it looked magical. All of the colors stayed much longer and it was beautiful!
So, today I went out and bought some new batteries they're Energizer Max 9V. I put the fluffies on and put them in and I wanted to test how long they would last. By about 5 minutes I felt a burning against my leg where the battery was. I took the fluffies off fast and discounted the battery. It was extremely hot. Almost to hot to touch and it left two nice low key red burns on my legs.
I don't understand what caused this when the other batteries were fine? I also used a 9V energizer battery before. But, the only difference is I'm not sure how much power was left in it while these were fully powered!
I hoping to find a solution to this and hopefully it's an easy fix!
Bonus points to whoever can send me in the right direction to buy fairy lights like these. Rainbow, blinking, with a small battery pack that doesn't poop out on me fast. I would prefer not to do this much work or something I intend to sell but, if that's what has to happen it's not the end of the world.
Thank you so much!!