Author Options:

software that can translate bitmap to vectorgraph or G code for CNC? Answered

I want to build something like a CNC. But using a pen instead of CNC's drill so that I can use it to draw image. I searched a lot about G-code, but they are all for vectorgraph. So I need help if there is any software that can translate the bitmap to G-code? THANKS


yes I have a 24 inch pen plotter and heres how to do exactly what you desire. The photo must be converted to .DFX use inkscape or correl draw, download f-engrave open the .DFX file in f-engrave and convert to gcode insure to set z axis depth to -0.010, now using grbl set up you plotter or cnc so that the pen tip is touching paper and hit go ,Before you do this please check help files and setup info for all software used,I took approx 3 months to get my system up and running perfectly...WCH

This is called a pen plotter. Sometimes a flat bed plotter

Inkscape should do what you want.


Lots of vector to Gcode converters

In general pen plotters tend to use HPGL - Hewlet and Packard Graphics language.

HPGL contains codes for pen up/pen down rather than Z axis It also has codes fro changing pen if you can make a suitable pen changer mechanism.

wow, I do a little search on what you mentioned and it's really amazing. THANKS!

A lot of CAD programmes produce HPGL automatically if you print to a plotter.