I wnt to know because this question has intreged me for a long time.
I suspect very little as the framework of the MRI scanner is made from plastic.It has to be magnetically affected to be "seen" by the MRI scanner.They use intensely powerful magnetic fields to cause minute changed at a molecular level these changes can be detected.Plastic would be inert.
Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer
An MRI is just a giant magnet, so it will have no effect on anything non conductive.You may however induce a current in non magnetic conductors, which could cause some interesting effects.
Its not "just" a giant magnet......
I know there is a lot more to it, but as far as taking metal near one is concerned the effects would be pretty much the same as for a huge magnet.
Do you mean can it be detected ?Then yes, MRI machines work by basically spinning the protons of hydrogen atoms up and listening to them radiate radio waves. Since most plastics contain hydrogen, then they can be detected. The process used, more accurately, to be called nuclear magnetic resonance imaging.
In a standard MRI machine, nothing will happen to it except it may be imaged by the machine. I have been through an MRI several and the only extraneous objects they are concerned about are the metallic ones. They sometimes use a device to image certain body parts, a shoulder in my case, that is housed in a PVC shell. Plus, my trusty tube of Chapstik has been through it twice with me and emerged completely unaffected.
Probably nothing - the case of the machine itself is plastic, the clothing they give you is plastic...