120Views15Replies

Author Options:

wireless Answered

are all wireless products such as cell phones or ummm.... home phones and everything else that doesn't use IR, use pulsed magnetic wave, or supersonic sound? I'm making a wireless power device that pulses magnetic fields, is this dangerous to my health? I don't want to be a mutant or be sterile or anything.

15 Replies

user
schorhr (author)2008-03-12

Depends on what you build :-) Give a few more details.
Of course radiowaves can be a healthrisk, take Wireless LAN for example. 2,4 GHz = Microwaves!
Now if you'dd build something that emmits 600 Watts, that would keep you nice and warm, maybee crisp!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Kiteman (author)schorhr2008-03-12

Microwave ovens work at 2.45GHz, but most mobile phone networks appear to run at 0.9GHz, 1.8GHz, 3.5GHz and 5.8GHz, frequencies which do not couple with water molecules to cause heating. (It is very hard to find proper data - as soon as the words "microwave" and "mobile phone" go into google together, you are swamped by quack scare sites)

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
zachninme (author)Kiteman2008-03-12

Microwaves don't emit much though: since the wavelength is about 3-4 inches, those little holes on the front are too small for them to pass through!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Goodhart (author)Kiteman2008-03-12

Tell me about it: Here is a study done in 2004, by means of a (get this) questionnaire LOL

Analog Cell phone Damage "study"

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)2008-03-12

On a seperate, but related note, is there a way to get HV with a small device. Lets say I use 10kv going through a coil with manymanymany turns, and with electricvity pulsing through at 2 Mhz the resistance will be pretty high (it's ac). So a hv at low amps will do better than a low voltage at high amps because of less electricity wasted, plus it should create a higher power field.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)guyfrom7up2008-03-12

oh any I'm looking for something like 10 or 20 mA, something around that range. Also, using normal magnet wire , will the insulation break down at such a voltage?

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)2008-03-12

thanks everyone, so it's safe? Just to make sure i'll give more details. It'll be running around 2Mhz (is that safe for the water molecule thingamdousey?) and the magnetic power is... well I don't know but I doubt it's strong enough to effect anything iron about 1 or 2 feet away, if that.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
tech-king (author)guyfrom7up2008-03-12

assuming its not powerful enough to interfere with radio transmissions and brings the FCC to your door, it should be fine.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)tech-king2008-03-12

thanks, and welcome back! Inless you just fou8nd a computer during vacation, if so have fun

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
tech-king (author)guyfrom7up2008-03-12

im back. they had computers there, but it was 20 cents a minute.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
guyfrom7up (author)tech-king2008-03-12

sweet, I've never been anywhere where they charge you to use a computer

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
tech-king (author)guyfrom7up2008-03-12

lucky you. i looked for a cybercafe, but could not find one near my hotel.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Kiteman (author)2008-03-12

Wireless products use electromagnetic radiation of various frequencies.

That covers everything from extra low frequency radio, via microwaves, UV, visible light and infra-red all the way up to X and Gamma rays.

Most wireless products use frequencies in the microwave range.

You are, however, quite safe. The claims that mobile phones damage health are speculative, and no causative link has been found between them and ill-health.

As for ordinary or varying magnetic fields (as opposed to electromagnetic radiation), they would have to be extraordinarily strong to have the slightest effect on you (that is, strong enough pull a hammer across the room), and even then the effect is only to make the molecules of your body "echo" the field. It's what they use in EMR scanning.

It is possible to make a magnetic field strong enough to move living tissue, but they have to be rather small, and all they suffer is mild confusion.

Levitating frog

They used frogs simply because they are amusing!

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Goodhart (author)Kiteman2008-03-12

You are, however, quite safe. The claims that mobile phones damage health are speculative, and no causative link has been found between them and ill-health.

And furthermore I have been using them for over a decade now and......um, what was I saying again ? (has your corpus callosum been fully cooked yet?) LOL sorry, just teasing a bit.

The worst side effect of overuse of cell phones, besides stiff necks and cauliflower ear, are death (if you drive and try to dial the embassy at the same time) ;-)

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer

user
Goodhart (author)2008-03-12

Yep, as Schorhr mentions, it depends on both the wavelength / frequency and the power output.

Select as Best AnswerUndo Best Answer