A "book Safe" Failure of Epic Proportions!!

Introduction: A "book Safe" Failure of Epic Proportions!!

About: I am a Marine Engineer in the RNZN (41 years done in various navies) and am looking forward to retirement!!! so I can do more messing about with tools

I decided that I wanted to make a "Book Safe", I mean how hard could it be?

I'm relatively handy, this is going to be a couple of hours and a complete doddle

Yeah, right!!!

Step 1: Materials

So with the best of intentions I gathered my materials

A book $2 from the local "Op Shop" (Charity Shop)

I chose Hannibal as there were 2 copies there (so not depriving any one of one), also it was relatively hefty and also I had read it and found it awful and in need of sacrificing!

Glue, in this case craft glue (PVA Adhesive) $4:90 from the $2+ shop



Craft Knife


Piece of Cardboard


Step 2: Cut a Template

To get all the holes in the pages even I cut a template from the cardboard.

Step 3: Cut Centre Portion Out of Pages and Start Gluing

As it says ^

Step 4: Every Few Pages Iron Together to Keep Pages Flat

This was an abject failure!!!!!!!!!

Step 5: Realise That This Is Not Turning Out Well and Chuck the Lot in the Bin

It turned into a sticky, soggy, distorted mess

After about 50 pages I realised that I am not a patient man!

I should perhaps have stuck all the pages together and let dry, then cut the hole, or done a few pages, let dry and then a few more.

Hand Crafts PAH! ----Give me Power Tools anyday!!!!

Vote for me in the EPIC FAIL CONTEST please

Spectacular Failures Contest

Participated in the
Spectacular Failures Contest

Be the First to Share


    • Stone Concrete Cement Contest

      Stone Concrete Cement Contest
    • Home and Garden Contest

      Home and Garden Contest
    • Make It Modular: Student Design Challenge

      Make It Modular: Student Design Challenge



    6 years ago

    I have now looked at others ibles for book safes and realised that I am an idiot! (cue Forrest Gump saying I am not a smart man Jenny)


    6 years ago

    I had the same issue with my own book safe, in the end i resortes to layering the pages while closed around the edges. then i cut through with a bix cutter for a few hours and did the same with the outside. It's not pretty but it works. :)