Introduction: Applying a Golden Brown Smokey Eye on Oneself
Learning how to apply a smokey eye look can be a daunting, expensive task for many people. This tutorial will provide you with step-by-step instructions and pictures to show you how to complete a full face of makeup. Additionally, there is a video that specifically focuses on applying eye-shadow to create a Golden Brown Smokey Eye.
Step 1- Materials
- e.l.f. Flawless Satin Foundation
- e.l.f. 16hr Camo Concealer
- e.l.f. Volumizing Mascara
- e.l.f. Highlighting Pearl Paint
- e.l.f. Eyeshadow Brush
- e.l.f Stipple Brush
- e.l.f. Srsly Satin Lipstick
- e.l.f. Beauty Blender
- L.A. Colors Powder Blush
- L.A. Colors Loose Eyeshadow
- L.A. Colors Eyeshadow (rectangular pallet)
- Colormates Pressed Powder Paper towel
Step 1: Apply the E.l.f Flawless Satin Foundation
Pump 2 squirts (or more if needed) of the e.l.f. Flawless Satin Foundation onto the back of your hand.
Using the e.l.f. beauty blender, lightly dab the tip of the beauty blender (smaller end) into the foundation.
Apply the foundation in four streaks all over the face.
Continue to dab back into the foundation when the foundation runs out on the beauty blender.
Dab either side of the beauty blender all over the face to blend the foundation as evenly as possible.
Step 2: Apply the E.l.f. 16hr Camo Concealer
- Take the wand out of the bottle and wipe some of the excess concealer onto the edge of the inside of the bottle. The wand should not be caked with a glob of concealer on it.
- Take the wand and draw two small triangles under your eyes to cover the dark circles.
- Put tiny dots to cover any blemishes or red marks on your face that need extra coverage.
- Then, use the e.l.f. beauty blender to gently buff over the concealer marks to blend them into your skin.
- Continue to blend until you can no longer see any of the concealer marks on your face.
Step 3: Apply the Colormates Pressed Powder
- Use the e.l.f Stipple Brush and press it into the Colormates pressed powder.
- Swirl the brush around in the pressed powder and tap off the excess powder on the side of the container.
- Gently brush the powder all over your face to set the foundation and concealer.
- You only have to brush the pressed powder all over your face once.
Step 4: Apply the L.A. Colors Powder Blush
- Using the e.l.f. stipple brush, press it into the L.A. Colors powder blush.
- Swirl the brush into the blush to pick up the colored powder.
- Apply to the apples of the cheek in gentle circular motions on both of your cheeks.
- It helps to smile to really see the definition of your cheeks.
- Make sure that you really use a light hand when applying this blush, you can easily start to look like a clown if you apply too much.
Step 5: Apply the E.l.f. Highlighting Pearl Paint
- Open the cap of the e.l.f. highlighting pearl paint and squeeze some of the highlighter onto your index finger. A tiny amount of the highlighter will suffice.
- Then, lightly rub the highlighter onto each of your cheekbones. It helps to suck in your cheeks, almost like a duck face to really accentuate the cheekbones.
- Use your finger to dab the highlighter up and down your cheekbones with a very gentle touch.
- The highlighter should be noticeable but also blend nicely with the blush. A nice shimmer will appear on your cheekbones.
Step 6: Take a Look at This Video for the Eye-shadow Steps!
This video will show you the next three steps in motion!
Step 7: Apply the L.A. Colors Eye-shadow (First Shade)
- Use the e.l.f. eye-shadow brush and press it into the L.A. Colors eye-shadow pallet into the middle brown color on the fourth from the left in the pallet. Move the brush around to pick up as much pigment as possible. Tap the brush on the side of the pallet if there is excess shadow.
- Brush the color on the whole surface of the eyelid and all the way up to the crease, press as hard as needed in order for the color to show on the lid. Using a left to right motion is the best way to apply the eye-shadow (windshield motion). There is going to be some fall out from the eye-shadow brush that will appear underneath the eyes. Make sure to quickly wipe it away with a paper towel.
- Then, use the second to last color on the right of the pallet with the eyeshadow brush.
- Using the eyeshadow brush apply the dark colors into the corners of the eyelid and up on the crease. Make sure you apply on both eyelids.
- Once the dark color is in place on both eyelids, wipe the eyeshadow brush on a paper towel. Once it is cleaned, use the brush to blend the dark and lighter colors. Blend these colors with left to right motion.
- Do this until the colors are blended. You should have a nice blended ombre effect of browns on your eyes. The inside corner of your eye should be lighter and it should be darker on the outer corner of your eyes and by your crease. This has set the base for the dark smokey look.
Step 8: Apply the L.A. Colors Eye-shadow (Second Shade)
- Then, use the second to last color on the right of the pallet with the eye-shadow brush.
- Using the eye-shadow brush apply the dark colors into the corners of the eyelid and up on the crease. Make sure you apply on both eyelids.
- Once the dark color is in place on both eyelids, wipe the eye-shadow brush on a paper towel. Once it is cleaned, use the brush to blend the dark and lighter colors. Blend these colors with left to right motion.
- Do this until the colors are blended.
- You should have a nice blended ombré effect of browns on your eyes. The inside corner of your eye should be lighter and it should be darker on the outer corner of your eyes and by your crease. This has set the base for the dark smokey look.
Step 9: Apply the L.A. Colors Loose Eye-shadow
- Dump some of the contents of the L.A. Colors loose golden brown eye-shadow into a paper towel.
- Use your pointer finger and pat the gold eye-shadow onto your finger.
- Apply the shimmery eye-shadow on top of the base colors that were applied previously.
- This is the main part of the eye look so you can use a hard hand application to make sure that you pack it onto your eyelid. This will allow for that much bolder golden brown look.
Step 10: Apply the E.l.f. Volumizing Mascara
- Apply the mascara wand to your eyelashes.
- Ensure that you use an upward motion and continuously brush the wand through the eyelashes.
- Start from the root of the eyelash to try to really volumize your lashes.
- Do the bottom lashes as well, with a downward angle with the wand.
Step 11: Apply the E.l.f. Srsly Satin Lipstick
- Open the e.l.f. Srsly Satin Lipstick and outline your lips in the pinky color. Make sure that you outline your lips as close to the shape of your lips as possible. Rub your lips together to make sure that the lipstick is on evenly.
Step 12: Final Product
You're all done with the Golden Brown Smokey Eye look!