Introduction: Asian Recipes: Crunchy Green Mango Pickles (Jeruk Mangga)
Pickling was a way to preserve foods during harvests or times of abundance. The concept of pickling started many centuries ago, while most of the Western world sees vegetables soured or preserved in vinegar as pickles, the Chinese and other Asians tend to go sweet, salty and/or spicy. A young green mango is preferred for making this pickles recipe.
Step 1: Ingredients:
Green medium sized mango, 5
Salt, 2 Tbsp
Sugar, 5 Tbsp (or more adjust depends on sweetness liking)
Vinegar, 1 Tbsp
Sour plums or Chili (optional)
Step 2: Peel and Slice Mangoes Lengthwise.
1. Rinse mango to wash off sap if there is any.
2. Peel off mango skin.
3. Halve each mango lengthwise and then remove the seed inside.
4. Slice each mango into thick matchsticks.
Step 3: Sprinkle Salt on Mango Slices in a Big Bowl and Mix Well.
This step is to salt mango and drain out water contained in it. Cover the salted mango slices with plastic sling and leave it for 30 - 60 minutes.
1. Turn over the salted mango slices after 15 minutes.
2. Set aside for another 15 - 30 minutes.
Step 4: Rinse Salted Mango Slices and Drain Dry.
1. Fill with water until fully covered, then discard water.
2. Rinse them thoroughly under running water and drain dry.
3. Place them in a container.
Step 5: Add in Vinegar and Stir.
Pour vinegar into the bowl of salted mango slices.
Step 6: Sprinkle Sugar.
1. Sprinkle sugar.
2. Mix until all mango slices are covered completely with sugar.
Optional: Salty-spicy or other flavors
You can add few cuts of sour plums or chili (optional) on mango, mix well.
Step 7: Cover the Container and Store It in Fridge at Least 24 Hours.
1. Put the mango slices in a container (preferably a mason jar or glass container).
2. Store in fridge overnight to allow sugar to fully absorb into mango slices before serving.
Step 8: Green Mango Pickles Are Ready to Eat.
The longer the mango pickles store in a fridge, the sweeter the pickles become. You can enjoy homemade green mango pickles now.