Introduction: Avocado Shrimp Tempura Sushi
This can be a fun yummy dinner or used as an appetizer or snack!
1 Bag of uncooked shrimp (I used Jumbo with the shell)
1 Package of Seaweed aka Nori sheets (bought from Asian store)
1/2 Gallon of vegetable oil
For Tempura Batter:
1 1/2 cup of seltzer water
4 tbsp corn starch
Salt for taste
For Sushi Rice:
1 1/2 cup of sushi rice
3 cups of water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp of salt
Mixture to make rice sticky:
1 tbsp of sugar
1/4 cups of rice vinegar
1 tsp of salt
Fryer, if you don't have one use frying pan, or pot or whatever you have to fry.
Bamboo Sushi roller (or any sushi roller, also got this from the Asian store)
Step 1: Clean Shrimp
- If needed, thaw out the shrimp by placing it in a bowl and running cold water over the shrimp continuously.
- After thawed deshell the shrimp if necessary also removing the tail
- After shrimp is washed place shrimp on a paper towel to completely dry the shrimp. This will allow the tempura batter to stick to the shrimp better. Put the shrimp to the side until ready to fry.
Step 2: Making the Rice
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of rice to the rice cooker
- Then add the 3 cups of water
- Then add 1 tsp of salt
- Then add the bay leaf for flavor
- Turn on rice cooker and wait until rice is cooked
- If you do not have a rice cooker use a pot to boil and cook the rice, use same ingredients but watch the rice as it cooks until finished.
Step 3: Make and Add Mixture to Rice
Now we are going to make a mixture to make the rice sticky that way it sticks to the seaweed.
- In a separate bowl mix together 1 tbsp of sugar
- Then add 1/4 cup of rice vinegar and 1 tsp of salt
- Remove the bay leaf from the rice and throw out.
- After add the mixture to the rice and mix until the liquid is soaked up into the rice
- Put rice to the side and allow rice to come to room temperature or the fridge to speed up process.
Step 4: Prepare Fryer and Batter
- Add 1/2 a gallon of vegetable oil to fryer.
- Turn it on and set for 350 degrees, allow it to warm up
- meanwhile, make the batter use a clean bowl and whisk
- Add 2 cups of flower
- Add 4 tbsp of cornstarch
- Then add 1 1/2 cups of Seltzer water
- Then whisk together until properly mixed.
Batter may seem very liquidy, add flower or cornstarch as needed, however don't make batter to thick keep it soupy.
Step 5: Time to Fry
- Place shrimp in batter, coat evenly and drop into oil for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, take shrimp out and place on a paper towel to soak up the oil
- Allow shrimp to cool for a little, meanwhile start to make the sushi.
Step 6: Making the Sushi
- Put saran wrap around your bamboo sushi roller.
- Take one sheet of Nori and cut in half
- Put rice all over the 1/2 of sheet of nori
- Cut and place a couple pieces of shrimp across the middle of the rice
- Slice avocado and place on top of the shrimp
- Then roll the sushi until perfectly rolled
- Cut sushi in half first then cut sushi to liking
- Eat sushi and repeat to make more.