Basundi is one of my all-time favorite sweet which, my mom use to prepare in my childhood days. Basundi is a very famous traditional Indian sweet (in the western states of India). It is milk sweet and, is also very easy to make. The following are the ingredients and simple steps to this sweet. Basundi is made using milk which is reduced until it thickens and then flavoring of choice is added to it. Adding the saffron while cooking gives you the natural yellow color and the aroma of the saffron.
Note: There is no artificial colors added. You get the pale yellow color when you add the saffron in hot boiling milk.
Step 1: Ingredients
MILK - 3-4 cups (Whole milk or Full-fat milk)
SUGAR - 1/2 cup
A PINCH OF SAFFRON
PISTACHO - 10-12
Step 2: Procedure:
- Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan
- Pour the milk
- Heat till it comes to a boil.
- Then lower the heat between medium and low.
- Add saffron and keep a few for garnishing.
- Simmer the heat and let the milk thickens.
- Keep stirring in between like every 2 mins
- When the milk is reduced to 1/2, add sugar and pistachios (keep a few for garnishing)
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Now turn off and wait until it cools down
- Garnish with saffron and pistachios and refrigerate it.
Note: Adding cardamom is optional. Almonds and other dry fruits can also be added if you prefer. I prefer pistachios the best with this sweet.
Do try it and leave a comment below.
Participated in the
Sweet Treats Challenge
1 Person Made This Project!
- lavanya nagarajan made it!