Introduction: Barmbrack - Yeast Free Irish Fruit Bread
To celebrate St Patrick’s Day I thought I would share one of our family’s favourite fruit bread.In this yeast free version of Barmbrack.
Barmbrack is a fruit bread made with strong black tea. We often eat this for breakfast or for afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
- 1 cup of cold black tea. I used Tazo Wild Orange.
- 1/2 cup of raisins.
- 1/2 cranberries.
- 1/2 chopped apricot.
- zest of whole large orange.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon.
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves.
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder.
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt.
- 2 cups flour.
- margarine (to grease the pan)
Step 1: Soaking the Fruit.
- For this section you will need the raisins, cranberries, chopped apricots, orange peel and tea.
- Make the cup of tea using the wet measuring cup.
- Place the tea bag in the cup and add 1 cup of boiling water.
- In a bowl add all the dried fruit along with the orange peel.
- Mix well.
- Add the tea along with the tea bag.
- Cover the bowl with Saran Wrap or Cling Film.
- Place the bowl in the fridge and allow to soak overnight.
Step 2: Add the Dry Ingredients.
- You will need eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and flour.
- Preheat your oven to 375 *.
- Remove the tea bag from the dried fruit.
- Stir well.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to the dried fruit.
- Mix in 2 eggs.
- Add the brown sugar and stir well.
- Mix in the baking powder, salt and flour.
Step 3: Prep the Pan.
- You will need a loaf pan, Margarine, and a little bit of flour for this section.
- Take your margarine and rub it all over the inside of the loaf pan.
- Take a little bit of flour and dust all four sides until all the surfaces are covered.
- Your pan is ready.
Step 4: Get Ready to Bake.
- Pour the batter into the prepped pan.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 120-130 minutes.
Step 5: When the Baking Is Done.
- When the loaf is firm and does not shake, remove from the heat.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and place it on the cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely.
Step 6: Time for Tea.
- When the Barmbrack is cool completely, slice and enjoy with tea.