Introduction: Charge Your Phone With Pedal Power
Did your Phone discharged while playing pokemon go? OR It gets discharged while morning cycling.I had found the perfect solution for all of these problem.This is a very simple pedal power mobile charger.It uses a motor for charging our smartphone.
Step 1: HOW IT WORKS?
This is a very simple project that use a motor to charge our smartphone.I consists of a motor ,a ic so that it can regulate the voltage,a capacitor,diode bridge.I used both a 12v motor and a cycle dynamo.As dynamo is not easily available,but if you have one then I suggest using it as it is much better that a 12v motor.
Step 2: MATERIALS:
- 7805 IC regulator x1.
- Diodes x4.
- A 16v,2200 uf capacitor.(using a smaller cap will be better).
- 12v motor OR a cycle dynamo.
- Soldering Iron.
- Wire cutter.
- A mobile holder(If you don't have one than you can use zip ties).
- zip ties.
- A plastic box.
Step 3: MAKE THE DIODE BRIDGE
Making a diode bridge is very simple just follow the circuit diagram above and make your own diode bridge.If you want you can use a 4-channel receiver instead of a diode bridge.Once you are done with diode bridge you will have to AC input and 1 positive and negative output on the diode bridge.
Step 4: SOLDER EVERYTHING TOGETHER
Soldering was a challenge as soldering the capacitor and the IC was tough.Solder everything together using the circuit diagram above.
- First,solder the capacitor to the positive and the negative side of the diode bridge.
- Secondly,solder the ac input to the 12v motor or the dynamo.
- Than solder the input of the IC to the positive of the diode bridge.
- GND of the IC to the negative of the bridge.
- Output of the IC to the red wire of the micro usb charging cable.
- And negative of the diode bridge to the black wire of the micro usb charging cable.
Step 5: PUT ALL TOGETHER IN THE BOX
Take the circuit and put it inside the box,cut the holes for the wire in the sides of the box.Use a glue gun to fit the circuit in the box.
Step 6: COLOR THE BOX
Use a spray paint to color the box according to the color of your cycle.In my case I used a black duct tape.
Step 7: USING THE DYNAMO INSTEAD OF MOTOR
A dynamo is a type of motor specially designed for the cycle,it has a gear that rotates when comes in the contact of the cycle tire.You just need to connect the dynamo output to the AC inputs of the diode bridge.
Step 8: PUT EVERYTHING ON THE CYCLE
Just use the zip ties for holding the box and the wires.Dynamo has a cycle mount with it so there is no need for zip ties for dynamo.If you are not having a mobile holder that also put zip ties for the mobile.
Step 9: TEST IT!
Rotate the back tire and using a multi-meter check the amount of voltage it is producing.If it is shoing 4.9v or 5.1v than we are done.
Step 10: GO OUT FOR CYCLING
Take your cycle and start pedaling.
PRECAUTIONS AND COMMON PROBLEM:
- Check that dynamo head is touching the tire.
- Solder things properly.
- Check that the phone is properly placed on the cycle.
- Do not play pokemon go while driving.
IMPORTANT THING TO DO:
- VOTE FOR ME.
- FAVORITE MY INSTRUCTABLE.
- SHARE MY INSTRUCTABLE.
- FOLLOW ME FOR MORE INSTRUCTABLE.
Participated in the
Green Electronics Contest 2016
Participated in the
Trash to Treasure Contest 2017