Introduction: Chicken Curry Pot Pie
~*~ CHICKEN CURRY POT PIE ~*~
SERVES: 4 – 6 ⎪ LEVEL: ADVANCED
Ahh, food fusion at its divinest. Rich, fragrant Indian curry topped with a flakey chickpea flour crust makes the perfect entrée for a Bollywood movie night. This recipe uses bone-in chicken to achieve moist and juicy perfection, but you’re welcome to substitute boneless for faster meal prep with equally delicious results. If your curry confidence is up to snuff, make your own spice blend, for optimum flavor!
for the Pie Crust
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons butter, chilled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
3 – 4 tablespoons ice water
for the Chicken Curry
2 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, legs, and/or breasts
1/4 cup flour
1.5 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large white onion, small diced
2-inch piece ginger, minced
6 small cloves garlic (or 3 large), minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and medium diced
1.5 cups water or chicken stock
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, plus more for serving
Step 1: Make the Pie Dough.
With Food Processor:
- Pulse flours, salt, and turmeric.
- Cut the chilled butter into cubes then add in with the dry ingredients. Pulse until mixture is coarse with a few pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time, pulsing until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. Do not over-mix, the dough should JUST come together.
- Mold into a disk, cover in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator while you make the curry.
Without Food Processor:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, and turmeric.
- With a cheese grater, grate the chilled butter then add to the dry mixture.
- Use your fingers to squeeze and rub the butter until they are the size of rolled oats.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, using one hand to quickly mix and gather the dough into a mass. It should JUST come together (a few cracks and crumbles are okay).
- Mold into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator while you make the curry.
Step 2: Prep the Chicken.
- Remove skin, if any, from the chicken.
- If using chicken breast, cut into 3 pieces.
- Whisk together flour, curry powder, turmeric, and 1 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl; add chicken and toss to coat.
- If you haven’t already, now is a great time to cut the onion, garlic, ginger, and carrots.
Step 3: Cook the Curry.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot and shimmering, add the cumin seeds and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until they turn golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, cooking and stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, water or stock, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Last, stir in the chicken (with remaining flour mixture).
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until carrots are fork-tender and chicken is no longer pink inside. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from sticking.
Step 4: Transform Into a Pie
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred the meat from the bones using 2 forks.
- Add the chicken back in with frozen peas and yogurt.
- Stir, taste, and add more salt as needed.
- Transfer curry to a pie dish or ramekins for individual portions.
Step 5: Roll Out the Dough
- Flour your work surface.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge and beat it with a rolling pin to soften it a bit.
- Lightly flour the top of the dough. Starting from the center, roll the dough away from you. Lift, rotate, and roll from the center again. Flour your surface and dough as needed to prevent sticking.
- Roll the dough up onto the rolling pin, and unroll over dish so it rests evenly on top of filling.
Step 6: Bake the Pie.
- Fold the excess edges of the dough under and into the pie dish. Crimp the edges for a more finished look, or leave it rustic. Make 3 – 5 vent holes near the center using a knife.
- Whisk the egg with 1 teaspoon of water or milk. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the entire crust with egg wash.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet in case of spillage. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees. Bake 25 to 30 minutes more, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Step 7: Serve.
- Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt and a dusting of cayenne for a little heat.
Step 8: Variations.
~*~ VEGAN VARIATION ~*~
Replace pie crust butter with coconut oil, and chicken with 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, or 2 pounds firm tofu. Use canned coconut milk in place of yogurt.
~*~ GLUTEN FREE VARIATION ~*~
Replace all-purpose flour with chickpea flour or rice flour.
~*~ THAI CURRY VARIATION ~*~
In Step 2, melt the coconut oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Once hot and shimmering, add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot, until they turn golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, cooking and stirring for another 2 minutes. Stir in chicken (with remaining flour), carrots, 1.5 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, 1/3 cup fish sauce, 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until carrots are fork-tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from sticking.
Second Prize in the
Comfort Food Challenge