Introduction: Chocolate Benne Cookies
When you think of cookies you often think of sweet ingredients however this recipe uses Tahini which is commonly used to make the Middle East Treat - Hummus.
Tahini is a sesame paste that taste similar to nuts. If you have an allergy to nuts be aware when eating these Chocolate Benne Cookies.
This is one of my Father-In-laws favourite cookies. They do not last long in our house.
Try this cookie , I think you will enjoy it!
- 2/3 cup Sesame Seeds
- 8 oz Dark Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1 tsp Instant Espresso (I use Starbucks instant. Any flavour)
- 2 TBSP Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup White Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Step 1: Tools Needed
- 2/3 cup measure
- 1/4 cup measure
- 3/4 cup measure
- TBSP measure
- 1 tsp measure
- 1/2 tsp measure
- Food scale
- Medium saucepan
- Small Bowl
- Medium Glass Bowl
- Hand Mixer
- Small Non stick Frying Pan
- Large Wooden Spoon
- Saran Wrap or Cling Film
- Parchment Paper
- Cookie Sheet or Baking sheet
Step 2: Let’s Get Started!
- Using your Small Non Stick Frying Pan, place 2/3 cup of Sesame Seeds into the pan.
- Cook over medium heat, constitantly moving the pan.
- Once the Sesame Seeds turn lightly brown remove from heat .
- Let Cool.
Step 3: The Main Star!
- Using a medium saucepan fill with a little bit of water but ensure that it does not touch the bottom of the glass bowl.
- Place a medium bowl on-top of the saucepan.
- Using your food scale, weigh out 8oz of Dark chocolate.
- Break up the chocolate and place into the bowl.
- Place 2 TBSP of Butter into the bowl.
- Place 1/4 cup of Tahini into the bowl.
- Heat the saucepan over medium heat stirring the chocolate with the wooden spoon.
- Once the Chocolate is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool.
Step 4: Adding the Good Stuff!
- Using a strainer, place over the medium bowl.
- Sift 2 TBSP of Cocoa Powder
- Stir in 1 tsp of instant espresso/coffee
Step 5: Let’s Beat It.
- Using your Hand Mixer, beat the 2 eggs, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla into another small bowl.
- Beat until mixture lightens.
- Add Egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and beat until well mixed.
Step 6: Stir in the Flour
- Stir in 1/2 cup of white flour, 1/2 tsp Baking Powder and 1/2 tsp of Kosher Salt into the chocolate mixture.
- Using the wooden spoon, stir just to combine the ingredients.
Step 7: Time to Chill.
- Cover with Saran Wrap or Cling Film and Chill for 30 minutes.
Step 8: Time to Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350*
* I usually use a Cooke scoop to measure out my cookies however I find the small measure to large. For this recipe I think to use 1 TBSP measure.
- Using the TBSP measure, measure out the cookie dough.
- Roll into 1 inch ball
- Roll chocolate ball into toasted sesame seeds.
- Place Parchment paper onto the cookie sheet.
- Place cookie ball onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE. The cookies will appear soft however they continue to cook once they are out of the oven. They will firm up. Allow them to rest on the cookie sheet for about five minutes before removing them to the cooling rack.
Step 9: Time to Enjoy an Outstanding Cookie.
Theses cookies never last long in out house hence not too many photos. The great taste between coffee paired with dark chocolate is a perfect pairing. If you can get them out of the house your friends, family and coworkers alike will be thanking you.
Participated in the
Anything Goes Contest