Introduction: Coconut Chutney Recipe | South Indian Coconut Chutney
Very flavorful and refreshing chutney, indispensable accompaniment of various South Indian dishes, is coconut chutney. This recipe for coconut chutney is very easy and simple with a slight twist that enhances its flavor much more.
Coconut Chutney Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes
Total time: 12 minutes
Serves/Makes: 1 cup chutney
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney Recipe
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts (moongfali)
- 1-inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 green chili, roughly chopped
- Salt to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp oil
- A handful of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 broken dry whole red chili
- Water as much required
In a grinding jar add 1 cup grated fresh coconut, 1-inch ginger and 1 green chili roughly chopped, 1 tbsp roasted peanuts, salt to taste and juice of ½ a lemon.
Heat 1 tsp oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle add curry leaves and 1 dry whole red chili. Cook for 30 seconds.
Add the tempering to the grinding jar.
Add water as much required to get the correct consistency. Grind to a smooth chutney.
- Serving Ideas: Serve coconut chutney with instant rava idli, dal vada etc.
- You can also add cumin seeds (jeera) in the tempering for flavor.
Source recipe: Coconut Chutney Recipe