Introduction: Computer | Malwares | Protection
Today we all know that computers have become very important part of our life. They are today one of the basic essentials tools which we need daily. Not only have they become essential part of our life, we also share so many details with them. We use it for paying bills, playing games, checking emails, online banking, etc, etc. There are so many advantages when it comes to doing our work with the computers. But with advantages come the disadvantages too.
Virus (We will have a little fun with this little guy to keep this from getting boring. So these ‘#’ are just jokes, please do not take them seriously), a small program designed to replicate by inserting copies of itself (possibly modified) into computer programs and data files or even the boot sector of the hard drive when executed created numerous issues on computers. If you have been experiencing some unwanted pop-ups while browsing the internet or some unusual update pop-ups or you are having issues with internet getting disconnected or some unwanted software’s pop up suddenly when you are working, then you should check your computer or have it checked by a certified tech.
# Titanic Virus: Makes your whole computer go down. ;-)
Now to protect computers the so called ‘Anti-Virus’ programs came into existence. There are so many of these ‘Anti-Virus’ programs out there, that it becomes impossible to first of all decide to which one to go for. Secondly, only a bunch of technically sound people know the fact that, neither can a single program provide the solution to all of the malicious programs (No single program is 100% efficient – It’s like one soldier fighting against the whole army of Troy) nor can we run or keep two of these “Anti-Virus” programs together on our computer (The databases of the two programs clash with each other – It’s like north poles of two magnets repelling each other). Thirdly, again only a bunch of technically sound people know that viruses are not the only kind of malicious programs designed today. Actually the term defining malicious programs or softwares is “Malware”. Now this tutorial is neither to define all of these terms nor to tell about the issues caused by them. Read this for that purpose.
# Disney Virus: Everything in your computer goes Goofy.
So I decided why not create an instructable which will help us to check our computers against the malicious programs and eliminate them and also optimize it.So here we go.
Before I start, I do not take any liabilities whatsoever ( :-) ). Try them at your own risk. These steps will work on windows operating computers only. These steps have to be followed in the same order. And yes these are trial version software’s we are running, so please do buy the software’s if you feel they were useful to support them. Comment for any questions and recommendations of software’s.
Before you proceed, please update your windows operating system and then create a restore point, so if at all anything goes wrong you can always revert back and try again. So let’s start!!!
# HBO Virus: Runs the same programs over and over, week after week after week.
Step 1: Deleting Temporary/ Junk Files
- Windows Key + R = Hold down your Windows key (Flag like key with four boxes on the left hand side bottom corner of your keyboard) and press the letter R on your keyboard. A run dialog box will open up to type in a command.
- Type in temp and press Enter on your keyboard or click OK on the dialog box. Select and delete all the files in this folder. Some of these do not get deleted, so you can skip them. Don’t worry they will be taken care of later. Close the folder.
- Repeat Step 1. Type in %temp% and press Enter on your keyboard or click OK on the dialog box. Select and delete all the files in this folder. Close the folder.
- Repeat Step 1. Type in prefetch and press Enter on your keyboard or click OK on the dialog box. Select and delete all the files in this folder. Close the folder.
- Right click on the Recycle Bin and click on Empty recycle bin on your desktop screen.
# Mike Tyson Virus: Quits after one byte.
Step 2: Running Adware Removal Tool
Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package which automatically renders advertisements in order to generate revenue for its author. Download this software and run/open the file. Click on SCAN and let it scan your computer. After the scan completes click OK and then click NEXT to start clean up. The clean up might take some time, so be patient. After the clean up completes, click OK on the pop-up which appears. It will now show you the repair log and a pop up to click OK. Click OK and then close the repair log. It also opens up a web page asking your help to support the software; you can read and later close it. And then close the software.
If incase the software feels the adware cleanup requires a restart, it will prompt you to do so. Once it does restart it will show you the repair log and a pop up to click OK. Click OK and then close the repair log. It also opens up a web page asking your help to support the software; you can read and later close it. And then close the software.
Step 3: Running Malwarebytes
Malware, short for malicious software, is any software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. Download this software and run/open the file. Please go ahead and complete the installation. Once you have installed Malwarebytes, the last tab will have a check on LAUNCH MALWAREBYTES, click FINISH. Now click SCAN NOW when Malwarebytes starts. It will update the database and scan your computer for malicious files and PUP’s. After its done click on QUARANTINE ALL NOW. Now please wait. DO NOT CLOSE MALWAREBYTES. Wait for it to quarantine all malicious files. After it’s done, if the malware cleanup requires restart, it will prompt you to do so. Once it restarts the malwares will be quarantined. If the software doesn’t feel a restart is required, it won’t prompt you to restart the computer. In that case proceed to the next step after minimizing the software.
# Ellen Degeneres Virus: Your IBM suddenly claims it’s a MAC.
Step 4: Running CCleaner/ Glary Utilities
Now please choose wisely at this stage. DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH THESE SOFTWARES.
If you feel you are new to registries download this software – Glary Utilities. And if you think you know registries download this software - CCleaner.
- Glary Utilities: - So if are using Glary Utilities it’s just a matter of a click. 1-CLICK MAINTENANCE; is what it known as. Install the software. Click on 1-CLICK MAINTENANCE and then click on SCAN FOR ISSUES. No other application should be open when this is done. Next, click on REPAIR PROBLEMS. After the repair completes you can close the software.
- CCleaner: - Ok. It’s not as difficult as you think it is until and unless you stick to the steps. Once you are done installing open the software. No other application should be open when this is done. First is Cleaner, click on ANALYSE and after the scan completes click on RUN CLEANER. This removes any leftover temporary internet and junk files. Second is Registry, click on SCAN FOR ISSUES and then FIX SELECTED ISSUES. Now the software will ask you if you want to backup the changes to the registry. Please proceed by clicking YES and then SAVE. Remember the location of the registry backup file. Next, click on FIX ALL SELECTED ISSUES and then click CLOSE. And then close the software.
# Sharon Stone Virus: Makes a huge initial impact, then you forget it’s there.
Step 5: Almost DONE!!!
Last but not the least, RIGHT CLICK on the Recycle Bin and click on EMPTY RECYCLE BIN. And there you go; your computer is taken care of. You can uninstall the software’s we just installed and restart your computer.
Again comment for any question (absolutely any) and recommendations of software’s. I’ll be also writing another instructable for the advanced users out there. So please please please if you liked the tutorial, press the little sweet red heart (The more the merrier!!! (-: ). This will not only encourage me to write more but also help you better.
Oh yes, want > ME to help YOU out with your computer (Is that possible? Absolutely YES!!!), request for the same in comments and leave me an email or Skype id or anything to contact you and consider it taken care of. Any other request( WISH (: ) please add it in the comments.
# AT&T Virus: Every 3 minutes it tells you what great service you are getting.
KEEP SMILING FOLKS AND ENJOY!!! (AND PLEASE VOTE FOR ME IN THE PROTECTED CONTEST)
Participated in the
8 years ago on Introduction
So much for protecting your PC. What about us Mac owners?
Reply 8 years ago on Introduction
Mac computers have been designed with inbuilt safety features. Related to the junk files you can use the applications like CleanMyMac2. I will also try to come up with an instructable(with more details) for Mac. At the present moment i do not have a Mac, Hence cannot upload images. But will try my best to atleast get the instructable written asap.
8 years ago on Introduction
8 years ago on Introduction